Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okey... This is a though question and I don't know if it's possible. Ok, I'll start from the beginning. About a year ago i switched to linux. First it was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using Windows as a Router?

Okey... This is a though question and I don't know if it's possible.
    Ok, I'll start from the beginning. About a year ago i switched to linux. First it was Lindows (YUK) then Red Hat 9.0. Red was being stupid on my pc, so i abandond it. I also stopped with linux all together. I loved it but it just didn't work for me.... Pretty much what it was, was the fact that I have a usb wireless adapter (802.11b) in my room and the router is in the basement. Every thing was fine with windows.... Buut I like linux better... Now there is no way to get that usb adapter working because there are no linux drivers for it and I stopped trying after ages. Now heres the question: I Have got another computer , it's a lap top. Its okey (p3 800). I have SuSE 9.1 installed on it and I am loving it. But.. the only way I can go on the internet is if i got down to the basement and plug it directly into the router. So....................is there a way to connect my laptop to my other computer in my room? You see, I have my other computer running of that usb divice.. Is there a way that I can plug my laptop into my other computer and use the internet conection?
    Thanks for taking the time to read this long message..
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Linux Enthusiast
    You can setup your windows machine to be a gateway, but I don't know how to do this, and this isn't the right place to be asking that :-/

You could also get a PCMCIA card for your computer that would hook you up into the wireless network. I would suggest you go with a Cisco Aironet 350, as this card is supported by almost every flavor of linux or BSD I have tried.

Good luck,

Samuel
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.