Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I encountered a weired behaviour with PuTTY... Pls help me. 1. i download PuTTY.exe (client) and place it in my desktop (windows XP), after all the configuration i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PuTTY - doesn't work when moved to another file directory

Hi all, I encountered a weired behaviour with PuTTY... Pls help me.
    1. i download PuTTY.exe (client) and place it in my desktop (windows XP), after all the configuration i successfully connect it to the server
    2. then i move the PuTTY.exe to a new file directory (any other directory), nothing else change, the connection can't be established, PuTTY reports "Network error: connection refused"
    3. when move PuTTY.exe back to desktop, it works again
    4. i try the same thing in my friend's pc, PuTTY.exe works in all file directories, i can place it anywhere and it works

Why PuTTY.exe only works in a fixed file directory in my pc? I have scratched my head to figure it out for some days. but no luck.

Any hints are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Welcome to LinuxForums!

I'm not really all that familiar with Windows anymore. But it sounds like, since you installed it from your 'Desktop' directory, that's where the OS expects to find it when you launch it.
    I might very well be wrong on that. But it sounds likely, since if I were to move an application to a different directory I would probably run into problems.

Have you asked about this on a Windows support forum?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Welcome to LinuxForums!

I'm not really all that familiar with Windows anymore. But it sounds like, since you installed it from your 'Desktop' directory, that's where the OS expects to find it when you launch it.
    I might very well be wrong on that. But it sounds likely, since if I were to move an application to a different directory I would probably run into problems.

Have you asked about this on a Windows support forum?
    Hi Jay, thanks for the hints. Actually PuTTY.exe doesn't require installation. It's just a standalone executable file and should be able to be placed and run anywhere. I have asked abt this on a windows forum. Unfortunately I can't get the answer. Therefore I try my luck here.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You are right. It should work no matter where you put
    the exe. Try issuing this command from a command (DOS)
    window.

Code:
    C:>putty -cleanup
    It will clear the registry of entries from previous sessions.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgreen View Post
    You are right. It should work no matter where you put
    the exe. Try issuing this command from a command (DOS)
    window.

Code:
    C:>putty -cleanup
    It will clear the registry of entries from previous sessions.
    Thanks rcgreen. I tried but it doesn't work out.

I ran the command. It removed my PuTTY saved sessions and some related registry entries. After that I tried and the same error showed up.