Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hai friends., How to add a 802.11e driver WMM QOS support to My SDK,Is there any source code link available.?. Regards Saravanan G...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to add a driver 802.11e WMM QoS support ?

Hai friends.,
    How to add a 802.11e driver WMM QOS support to My SDK,Is there any source code link available.?.

Regards
    Saravanan G

802.11e is part of the new 802.11n wireless standard, and all new chipset drivers from manufacturers will include support by default. There is no need to go looking for it separately.
    Specific Linux functionality may not be catered for, however.
    802.11e was designed to integrate seamlessly into the new standard, so you might not realise it is happening half the time. Also, the equipment you are using may itself not support any fine tuning.

Hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    Lets say I have an Ubuntu machine hosting a samba share. I have a Boxee Box pulling content from the samba share. The Ubuntu machine is wired to the router, the Boxee Box is wifi. Is there a way to mark/flag the samba traffic on the Ubuntu machine as WMM Video Priority (802.1d tag 4 or 5) so that another wifi computer doing a download doesn't interfere with video playback?

wireless_kernel_org/en/developers/Documentation/qos

makes it sound like marking/flagging needs to happen in the application. Is there a way to do it at the firewall / iptables?

Jon

To quote from the link, "But it's still open how applications should use QoS". QoS is simply a way to prioritise traffic, so that, mainly in the face of limited resources, the traffic that you want to get through, gets through.
    It has been my experience with various SOHO devices that manufacturers have many different ideas on how to do this the "best" way. It maybe that you end up having to use whatever QoS solution the manufacturer has deemed to be the best for you, but you may be stifled by the device manufacturers' own interpretation, ie: works on wired, but not wireless; or works only on outbound (internet bound) traffic, not incoming. This in itself may pose a problem if you are not sending traffic towards the internet, but across your network.
    Some manufacturers will allow prioritisation from certain ports or devices. The standard allows for it, but doesn't mandate implementation.
    I am not super familiar with Iptables, but regardless, you should bear in mind where in the link that you are trying to make QoS happen. If the firewall is at the edge of your network, and you have other equipment, like your router, before that, then the traffic may have already become congested.
    It looks like you are limited by what the router you are using has been programmed to do.

A simple but expensive solution is to buy a router that can do what you want.