We're investigating an InReach LX4000 serial console box that's running linux. The purpose is to let us administer a remote server that's lost its network connectivity through a misconfiguration or failure.

The issue is with the Red Hat server since the console box works with an AIX system and a Solaris system.

I used the Sun docs to configure the Red Hat box to redirect the console to the serial port http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/docum...ey=1-9-71430-1 and have rebooted.

added entries to /etc/grub.conf:
serial --unit=1 --speed=9600
terminal --timeout=10 console serial
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.4.21-15.ELsmp) Serial Console
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-15.ELsmp ro root=LABEL=/ console=ttyS0,9600n8 console=tty0
kernel /boot/initrd-2.4.21-15.ELsmp.img

We're seeing receive/transmit traffic on the LX so it appears to be running but we aren't getting a login prompt like we do on the AIX and Solaris boxes. I do get a login prompt to the LX box which we weren't getting before.

I've used setserial to configure the serial ports to 9600n81 and flow control (-crtscts) and verified from BIOS that the ports are enabled and on the correct io/addr. I used stty -a /dev/ttyS0 and setserial -a -F /dev/ttyS0 to verify the settings.

The question is, have I missed anything WRT having the Red Hat box redirect the console to the serial port? I'm still seeing information on the screen which, if it's supposed to be redirecting, I wouldn't expect to see (unless it's tee'ing output).

Oh, and we have been speaking to the support folks at MRV but he isn't as familiar with linux as he is with the console box they're providing. It looks like a great device to use with sun or aix type boxes, systems that are expected to be accessed serially.

Thanks for any pointers. I hope I provided enough information

Carl