Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I am completely new to linux. I primarily use Windows xp, but I'm having a blue screen of death problem so all I have for now is Backtrack 3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Netwwork Bridging?

Hey, I am completely new to linux. I primarily use Windows xp, but I'm having a blue screen of death problem so all I have for now is Backtrack 3 final (live cd) I know in windows its really easy to do, just go to the network settings, select wifi and LAN, right click select bridge. But I have no idea how to do it (or if its even possible) with backtrack3.

I want to be able to sign in to xbox live with my 360, but I don't have the ridiculously over priced xbox 360 wifi adapter. The area I live in has free wifi so I can connect but have no wired connection i can directly plug the 360 into. So i am trying to set up a bridge so i can plug an ethernet cable into the 360 and laptop and use the wifi connection on the laptop for the xbox 360.

Was wondering if anyone can help me figure this out? would appreciate any help, thanks.

Hello and Welcome!

Do you happen to know what Desktop Environment you are using? Gnome or KDE? I believe KDE is the default for BackTrack 3.
    And while I'm not a KDE user, I can tell you an easy way to do it in Gnome, so it may get you pointed in the right direction.

You should have an icon for something called Knetwork Manager. Right click on it, and go to Edit Connections. For your Wired connection, you should have an option, possibly in a drop-down menu box, to Share your connection.

If I'm wrong in this, a KDE user should be able to chime in and correct these steps.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    not sure that i have knetwork manager

I see wireless assistant which is what i use to connect to wifi, and I see k wireless lan manger.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I haven't run BackTrack, so I can't be specific.
    But try playing with the wireless assistant/LAN manager.
    You should be able to find something where you can Edit Connections to allow sharing.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.