Find the answer to your Linux question:
G'day Everyone, Basically it will be a captive portal redirecting people to an information page, there will not be any internet access. There is already a management webpage that I've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Transparent proxy redirect URL requests or IPTables?

G'day Everyone,

Basically it will be a captive portal redirecting people to an information page, there will not be any internet access.

There is already a management webpage that I've made in PHP to configure the other software and it works perfectly on Lighttpd webserver.

I'd like the ability to add URL redirection through a lightweight proxy to another internal webpage for all HTTP/HTTPS requests (except the management page)...can this be done using Tinyproxy?

There will be no need to authenticate users as there will not be any internet access.

as far as I can work out, I will need:
    DHCP server
    DNS server (I think, because names would have to be resolved before URL redirection can take place?)
    Proxy server (to redirect/rewrite destination URL)

I've seen examples using IPTables to perform IP redirection, this would be much easier to implement but could I do this if I'm already hosting the management site on the same device?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Griffo

Just Joined!
    I did have another thought, could I use DNSmasq to provide DHCP and DNS server roles.
    Can DNSmasq be set to resolve all names to its IP?