Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have read a ton of different articles on the net and I still don't get what linux files are needed to do network booting? I am on a windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PXE booting ?

I have read a ton of different articles on the net and I still don't get what linux files are needed to do network booting?

I am on a windows machine xp running Tftpd32 which is configured to be my dhcp/tftp server.

It is all setup correctly. The network booting computer get assigned an ip and starts to retreive the test file which contains

Code:
    DISPLAY bootit.txt

DEFAULT etch_i386_install

LABEL etch_i386_install
            kernel debian/etch/i386/linux
            append vga=normal initrd=debian/etch/i386/initrd.gz  --
    LABEL etch_i386_linux
            append vga=normal initrd=debian/etch/i386/initrd.gz  --

LABEL etch_i386_expert
            append priority=low vga=normal initrd=debian/etch/i386/initrd.gz  --

LABEL etch_i386_rescue
            append vga=normal initrd=debian/etch/i386/initrd.gz  rescue/enable=true --

PROMPT 1
    TIMEOUT 0
    Right now this file is just a stub file I found on the internet.
    So i really need help on the last step.
    I don't understand which files I need to put into the tftp root directory to get this to work?

Do I just take a random linux distro and just extract/take a copy of the kernel debian/etch/i386/linux directory and the debian/etch/i386/initrd.gz? Is that all I need???

Or do I need a special download?
    Basically I have ubuntu installed on an old harddrive I could extract any files need if that help.

My main goal is to beable to turn any of my linux os's into network bootable os's.

Aaaaa this is so frustrating I don't understand the files needed and where to put them think it is under the root dir of the tftp service but not sure....

Trusted Penguin
    I have this in my pxelinux config file (/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default), regarding Ubuntu:
    Code:
    # Ubuntu 9.04
    label ubuntu904
      MENU LABEL Ubuntu 9.04
      kernel ubuntu-installer/i386/linux
      append vga=normal initrd=ubuntu-installer/i386/initrd.gz auto=true priority=critical netcfg/no_default_route=1 netcfg/get_nameservers='' url=http://192.168.1.2/tftpboot/kickstart/Ubuntu-9.04.cfg ramdisk_size=11057 root=/dev/rd/0 devfs=mount,dall rw --
    Then of course I have a web server at the above ip address hosting the kickstart file mentioned.

I copied all of the directory ubuntu-installer from a 9.04 Ubuntu CD (found in installer/netboot/ubuntu-installer) to /tftpboot.

hth