Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Im currently running a setup like this Internet > ClearOS > Servers (8 of them) Each of the servers are running OpenVZ had have a few VEs. I only ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Multiple webServers behind ClearOS

Hi,

Im currently running a setup like this

Internet > ClearOS > Servers (8 of them) Each of the servers are running OpenVZ had have a few VEs.

I only have 1 external IP-adress, so all of the servers and VEs are getting their IP from ClearOS.

Now I want to run several differnt websites on differnt VEs, are there any smart functions in ClearOS for this purpose?
    Or will I have to make my own setup for it? IE: An index file, that directs the specific site to a specific server?

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this the best way? Getting more external IPs is not a possibility.

I didnt read the ClearOS website in detail, but it looks like a SOHO/Intranet server.

You probably want ipvs:
    IPVS Software - Advanced Layer-4 Switching

Be aware, that this ClearOS machine
    a) will need some modifications to run ipvs
    b) some of the ClearOS features are not usefull for your goal. You might want to disable e.g. samba, webserver, ldap, etc
    A barebone install of a not-so-specific disrtibution might be more fitting.

Most important:
    c) After ipvs is installed and configured on that (former) ClearOs machine, it is then a SPOF (SinglePointOfFailure).
    You might want to get a second machine, along with a public IP and also an *additional* public IP, that can be moved between the two machines.
    This needs clarification with your provider.

Then this can be configured and used:
    Keepalived for Linux - Linux High Availability
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

On second thought, a reverse proxy setup might be enough for a start
    The spof argument holds true, though.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Thanks for your replies Irithori, much appreciated. A quick follow up tho.

Let's say we run 4 VEs on each server, that means we will have 32 apache enviroments, then 1 machine that handles the revervse proxy (if I pick that route) And lets say 2 websites on each VE.

I guess my real question is, will it be a hazzle setting all this up, 64 differnt websites divided up amongst 32 internal VEs each with their own internal IP.

Im not asking for the "lazy mans way" but doing the quick math in my head, it will take a bit of time.

Also, on the reverse proxy machine, 1 big vhost or divide up on several vhost files?

To continue the quick math:
    - 2 apaches per virtual environment
    - 4 virtual environments per machine
    --> 8 apache instances per machine.

Each takes ram, cpu, IO.
    I take it, the websites are rather low traffic/small?
    Especially ram and IO might be an issue for bigger sites.

As for general maintenance and system configuration:
    We use Puppet on several hundred machines in 3 datacenters to handle one website and its backend tools.
    These machines host the usual mix: postgres, mysql, redis, memcache, apache, nginx and a few more.

There is a guideline: If you change s/th manually on a machine, then it is an error.
    Everything needs to be "puppetized" aka: a puppet manifest needs to describe exactly, what the machine shall look like and enforce this.

For 64 apache instances, I would recommend to look into s/th similar, be it puppet or cfengine or <whatever>

As for the reverse proxy vhost question.
    That depends.
    One could do that via apache and its vhosts, but I would rather recommend Varnish
    Virtual hosts does not really apply here, but can be realized via its language VCL:
    https://www.varnish-software.com/blo...-hosts-varnish