Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all. Iíve been looking for a way to determine the IP address for a computer when all I have is the name that would be used to access the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Find IP from netbios name

Hello all. Iíve been looking for a way to determine the IP address for a computer when all I have is the name that would be used to access the computer in windows (eg \\servername in IE). In the past I have been able to just ping the computers to determine the IP address, but that for some reason no longer works. The computers I am trying to access belong to some of my friends on a college network, so I canít change any settings on the server, just looking for a workaround to find the IP addresses without needing to call them and ask.
    Thanks.

you'll probably find that your friend's Linux PC have set ping to be disabled within their firewall setup.

Why, pray tell, do you need their IP addresses?

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    We've been working on projects, and need to be able to access the common samba shares to get to the files. Thought about using a CVS repository, but it isn't really needed-we just put notes in the share directory and grab what updated files we need. It isnít just the boxes I am trying to access; all the computers on the campus can no longer be identified by NetBIOS name.
    Thanks for the reply though.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    my networking is a little old, but I think that NetBIOS uses IPX protocol and not TCP/IP protocol. So perhaps that may be part of the problem.

Is there no DNS (Domain Name Server) on your network?

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS