Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to see my modem dialup connection speed?

i need to know where or how i can see the connection speed where my modem is conected to my isp using wvdial ???
    in the shell when i start to connect using wvdial it doesn't show any information about this. and i need to compare the quality of the speed of various modems to see which is better in connection getting connected to my isp

Will something like this work for you? You'll need Flash Player installed.
    Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

hmmm seems to be fine, but for my slow dialup connection very heavy to load flash (if it load)
    there is not a more practical solution? some command or something else? i just want to see at how much KB is the dialup internet conection as it can be viewed on windows from the properties of the conection...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You could try this one, which isn't java and is specifically for modems. It just downloads a small file and times it.
    Modem Speed Test Page

You could always use the Ping command from the command line.
    Code:
    ping -c3 google.com
    This will ping Google 3 times and exit.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

OK but... isn't here on linux something that show me my dialup connection speed ??? something without web based tests? must exist something doesn't it?

Honestly, I haven't used dial up for so long that I basically do not know if there is something you can use or not. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Honestly, I haven't used dial up for so long that I basically do not know if there is something you can use or not. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.
    Conky should be able to monitor I THINK. Not sure as I don't use dial up either.

HOW TO: Get Conky to show network output only on the active interface (scriptless) - Ubuntu Forums

Another route maybe is use Synaptic to download screenlets - one of which is called Sysmonitor. Sysmonitor can be configured to display download and upload speeds on the desktop plus a few other things if you're interested.
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.