Find the answer to your Linux question:
Let's say I have messages going from A, B, C to D and I want D to route those messages to computer E (using multicast). Am I going to need ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Rerouting messages

Let's say I have messages going from A, B, C to D and I want D to route those messages to computer E (using multicast). Am I going to need an application like Quagga (can't post the link) to do something like this for me, or can i use something as simple as routing tables that are built into linux on computer D?

Messages are packets I assume?

If E shall not answer but only receive packets, then probably a mirror/monitor port is a possibilty here if your switch supports it:
    Catalyst Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN) Configuration Example - Cisco Systems
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Yes, packets. I believe I just need to change PREROUTING somewhere in my settings. I've been playing around with this so long this week I can't believe I just found out about it.

Just Joined!
    I hope you guys don't mind if I voice what I'm doing right now.

I have computer A which sends packets to computer B. For security purposes I'm going to say it sends multicast packets to all that subscribe to 231.1.1.1.
    Computer B receives the messages into ip address 192.168.1.2.
    I have the rule: iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i em0(192.168.1.2) -j DNAT --to 232.1.1.1
    the part in parentheses is not written, and i have changed the ip addresses.
    Computer C is subscribing to 232.1.1.1, but only receives pings to 232.1.1.1 from Computer B. It will not receive the packets that A multicasts to.
    Something tells me that the multicast packets going into Computer B does not get noticed by iptables. Any ideas if I'm on to something or not?