Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was always curious how a Linux/Unix network would be centrally managed. In the Windows world there is Active Directory which is based on LDAP. Which creates domains and domain ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

central network management in Linux/Unix

I was always curious how a Linux/Unix network would be centrally managed.

In the Windows world there is Active Directory which is based on LDAP. Which creates domains and domain authentication for users.

I know SAMBA can act as a domain controller and all that, but I'm not interested in making Linux act like Windows, I want to know what the Linux/Unix approach would be.
    Or would you simply use another LDAP based tool on a purely Linux/Unix network too?
    I also thought about NIS/NIS+ but that seems to have fallen by the wayside, or is it still a popular solution?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Linux has OpenLDAP which performs the same sort of services as does Microsoft's Active Directory, but not encumbered with Microsoft's proprietary extensions. There is also NIS/NIS+ (so-called Yellow Pages), but those are more for use in combined legacy Unix/Linux environments - there are a lot of organizations that still use it because the cost/pain to migrate is too much to bear. As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, then don't fix it!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!