Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a sandy bridged motherboard with Single 4 port Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection adapter. I want to update my drivers. Can someone tell me the steps to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with Network Adapter

I have a sandy bridged motherboard with Single 4 port Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection adapter. I want to update my drivers. Can someone tell me the steps to update the network adapter drivers. Also what is the difference between module and driver ?

Thanks in advance..

From what I can gather, support for this chipset is native in the kernel. If you build your own kernel, you could include it as a module, or you can compile-in support for it by building your own kernel.

If you're using the stock kernel that comes with your own distribution, then it should already have support for this network chipset as a module. If it's not working right, then upgrading to the newest kernel should resolve any problems. I saw some stuff on the internet about dropping of connections, but that seemed to date from around mid 2007.

Why do you feel you need to update your drivers?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Thanks for reply !!

We use LFS (linux from Scratch) with kernel version 2.6.35.10. Actually, i have eth0 connected to my LAN network, eth1 connected to WAN. While passing traffic through WAN, when i unplug the eth1 ethernet cable i get "e1000e 0000:02:00.0: eth1: Reset adapter" message in my terminal. Also, i can't access my LAN n/w from their onwards until i reboot my system. This issue doesn't occur in other motherboards. So, i thought it's problem with drivers and update may fix my issue.

Any idea about my problem Roxoff ??

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The few mins of reading I did on this didn't seem to reference any kind of multiple-port network card. It could be that the Linux Kernel drivers for this don't support that configuration. Do the other motherboards you report have the same chipset of network card? Do they have the same four-port configuration? Could it be that you have one of these four port cards that is broken?

Normally with network equipment, support in Linux very good. And this is Intel hardware, so that usually means that support will be even better again.

But if nobody has encountered this type of board, there could be a chance that it's not properly supported. If a disconnection on port 1 is causing all the ports to shut off, then there is a problem somewhere. There are a couple of suggestions I could make to help identify what is going wrong.

Firstly, you could eliminate the problem being down to a build setting in your Linux From Scratch by trying one of the many Live CD distributions, and seeing if the problem appears in a 'stock' kernel from the major builders. If the problem doesn't, then you know you've got a build flag wrong somewhere (potentially good news, if you can find which setting it is).

If the problem exists in other kernels, then you might want to get in touch with Intel - they may already have a fix for the problem, and it might be in a newer kernel than the one you're using. If that were the case, you'd just need to upgrade your kernel to the one that includes support.

The last option is really for the gung-ho I'm afraid. You have the source code you're building from - you might be able to find out what is causing the problem in the driver code itself and even, perhaps, fix it.

You might also want to consider how vital it is to work with this network card - it might be just simpler to put another (single port, bog-standard) network card into the server to act as the WAN connection?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/