Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, first off; I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Linux and properly setting it up for WLAN networks. But fine. Here at my home I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux box slowing down the WLAN network

Hello,

first off; I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Linux and properly setting it up for WLAN networks. But fine.

Here at my home I have a WLAN network, most computers connect to the Sweex LW320 router for their internet connection. If all PCs would be running that'd be 2x Windows XP, 1x Vista, 1x Ubuntu 11.04 and 1x Debian 6 "Squeeze". The Squeeze is the problem. I had some spare parts and decided to build WLAN server with that for internal storage and downloads etc. But whenever the Debian box is actually downloading something it slows down the whole network. The Windows boxes take way longer to load a webpage and most SSH connections to the box seem to time out.
    But at that point it hardly utilizes 10% of the internet speed. The WAN connection to the world wide web is 8mbit, the box doesnt download for more than 100kb/s while every other box in the network easily tips the 1.1mbyte/s.

So I don't really know what's going on here. And I hoped you guys could help me out and give me some ideas.

And yeah the WLAN adapter the Squeeze box uses is a Hercules 150N Pico USB adapter.

Thank you in advance.,
    ~Tinuva

Just Joined!
    I would look at QoS settings on the AP, they might be misconfigured. While you are in there, if they really let you manipulate settings, I would give your clients a little more priority then the server.
    Other then that, I would personally start a packet capture on the server and some of the clients and then start a download on the server just to see what is going on. There might be some misconfigured software or a buggy driver or possibly even some damaged hardware spewing garbage on the network.

Have you ever tried to have a conversation with two attractive talkative girls at the same time? Even to the most modern computers it is hard to listen to two or more talkies at the same time.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, this is a wireless LAN. What channel are each of the systems operating on? Are they all using the same protocol (802.11 b, g, or n)?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!