Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need to access a few web sites that require me to use Windoze I get the our site is not compatible with your operating system. Is there any way ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Masking OS

I need to access a few web sites that require me to use Windoze I get the our site is not compatible with your operating system. Is there any way I can mask my OS to make them think I'm running Windoze.

The only sites I know that do that rely on IE.
    What are the sites?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Newbie
    It's for an online banking account. Welcome to Blackhawk Community Credit Union, Janesville, Edgerton, Delavan, Stoughton WI
    It's for my parents account and they are on vacation now so I'll have to wait for when they come back to see the specifics of the errors but their bank told them they had to use Windoze to be able to use the online banking.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Tell them to find a bank that has moved into the 21st century... That said, I think that Firefox and/or Chrome has an IE mode so you can make sites think you are running IE. Ok, just checked the IE extensions for Chrome, and they only work with Chrome on Windows... Don't know about Firefox - I stopped using that a couple of years ago. If possible, install Windows in a LInux virtual machine, and run IE from there - that is what I do when I have to access dumbass sites like this!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Do you have a proxy on windows os at hand? If not, you maybe find one on the www. And there's still the User-Agent http header that you could try to spoof with a tool like https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...odify-headers/!

PS: tested and it works .. I just spoofed my user-agent with firefox to be "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0)", which would be IE 9.0 on win7 and http://whatsmyuseragent.com/ proved that the above addon does what it promises.
    Last edited by Kloschüssel; 02-06-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typo