Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am sorry for using this topic, but SAMBA is also my problem. I am running Samba on Fedora Core 3 as a File Share Server ( security = SHARE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I am sorry for using this topic, but SAMBA is also my problem.

I am running Samba on Fedora Core 3 as a File Share Server ( security = SHARE ). Windows XP sees Samba server, sees shares, can browse through and look.

At the same time Samba sees my XP workstation, but when I click on the icon it waits for some time and comes back with error "Error displaynig folder. You might not have permission to read Windows Network".

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Please don't hijack threads.

You must enable the guest account in WinXP for this to work. Go to Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Users and Groups (I think that's where it is...) and enable the guest account from there.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    sarumont,

I am sorry, I did not think it is a hijack, every forum has own culture.

Guest account did not work. I enabled it, left password empty. And Fedora still shows me "You do not have the permission nessesary to view the contents of Windows Network [computer name}"

I am still lost.

EDIT: I forgot to say that "smbmount" command does not work either every time returning ERROR 2215 ( NT_LOGON something ). I have tried all smbmount command forms, including credentials option.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Just to add my piece of information. I have the same problem the only difference is when I had Core 1 and tried to access a Windows Server Share it prompted me for a Username and Password. Now when I installed Core 3 and try to access the share I receive the same error AlexPal. "Error displaying folder. You might not have permission to read Windows Network"

The guest option does not work.

TIA

Just Joined!
    Just to add my piece of information. I have the same problem the only difference is when I had Core 1 and tried to access a Windows Server Share it prompted me for a Username and Password. Now when I installed Core 3 and try to access the share I receive the same error AlexPal. "Error displaying folder. You might not have permission to read Windows Network"

The guest option does not work.

TIA

Just Joined!
    Joe,

here is what has happened. I was about to send everything to hell but decided to try default samba configuration samba set to after installation... Full of sudden I got to Windows shared icons after clicking on computer icon on a Linux side. Bingo! I had few other problems but security = user helped a lot. To make Windows directories available you should set permissions to Properties->Security->Permissions to Everybody -> Full Control.

I am not sure that this combination is the only one working. But I am too tired to experiment with this very simple feature.

Alex.