Find the answer to your Linux question:
Question 1) Given an ip address that you know is running a webserver i.e port 80 or 443 is open. (nothing else) Then is their anyway to determine how many ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

website/webserver ?

Question 1)
    Given an ip address that you know is running a webserver i.e port 80 or 443 is open. (nothing else)
    Then is their anyway to determine how many websites are hosted on that ip address and the website url address's for each of the different websites hosted at that particular ip address?

Question 2)
    Given an apache webserver is their anyway remotely to list all the levels of the sub-folder names under the www folder with just using ports 80 and 443 open for remote connecting to it ?

This would be a really nice thing to have so people could use some type of restful service , UDDI to look up what types of websites are where... But I guess we have that from search engines except it could be worth it to advertise new sites .... (or for no other reason to allow the user to know what web urls are out their and where)
    Well people may say it is a security risk but if it was done for only public available websites you would not be breaking any security issues. I.E just add a command to the http protocals to list websites and urls for them available on the hosting server. The webserver could just create a textfile of all the websites and urls associated on that server and on request send the text file to the requestor.
    For example instead of put get ,...etc I have a list http query which the server just sends the websites and their urls that are hosted on this site. One could have a cron job or a process scanning for new websites being host on the server and adding them to the textfile list.
    If you do it this way you are not creating any security issues since no zone transfer is being done. And obviously the person could have a program to verify if the web urls /textfile downloaded from the hosting server correspond to that server by doing a dns lookup for the ip of each of the urls in the text file before going their.
    Sort of like a validations of integrity
    So it is protected both ways.

you could also have a feature that allows the host server when its cron job/process is scanning to skip over private or hidden urls. And update the textfile when a virtual hostname is changed to a different one or the website is deleted.
    Last edited by sam111; 02-23-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Lightbulb whois lookup

if you know one of the hosted domains on that box you could use any whois what gives you all the virtual web sites hosted on that single public ip number.

Answer 1)

What you're searching for is probably Reverse DNS.

Answer 2)

Something like:

Code:
    yourpc:$ ssh server
    server:$ find -noleaf /var/www

Just Joined!
    Yes , that would do it
    But you are assuming I have access to ssh ?

I am curious how you would completion that for an WAN IP for example how many websites are hosted (virtual hosts...etc ) on ip = 74.125.226.129

I know how to do it if I have access / login to an ssh. But that is only if it is my server or somebody gives me access. Many servers don't even run anything put 80/443 ports.

if you know one of the hosted domains on that box you could use any whois what gives you all the virtual web sites hosted on that single public ip number.
    How can you give me an example.
    From what I know who is only gives you info like owner , net range the ip belongs to, isp , contact info ,...etc.
    Don't see anyway to get the urls or virtual host names to know how many sites are hosted on that ip address.

For example 74.125.226.129 is googles ip.
    On that ip they could host google.com or they could
    host google.com and youtube , and other sites.

Even with dns that will only give you the domain name for that ip address or visa-versa which in this case is google.com.
    But their is no way that I know of to get all the url sites or hosted websites on that ip?

So if you know how to do please let me no.
    "Other then what google does which is spidering the web and clicking on links... but this is not exact and takes a tremendous amount of time thats why I mentioned implementing a list command for the http protocol "

I am curious how you would completion that for an WAN IP for example how many websites are hosted (virtual hosts...etc ) on ip = 74.125.226.129
    Answer:

Domains on 74.125.226.129:

code.google.com
    profiles.google.com
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    schema.org
    m.youtube.com
    You won't see all virtual host - some virtual hosts may be configured so that you're disallowed to visit them. If you're able to see them, it would mean that the server is misconfigured.

"Other then what google does which is spidering the web and clicking on links... but this is not exact and takes a tremendous amount of time thats why I mentioned implementing a list command for the http protocol "
    *hmm* Read about WebDAV. It is kind of what you want. Of course your extension to the HTTP protocol is incompatible with the current implementation and it will work only on servers/clients that implement that extension. I look forward to see your extension in the next few decades on a server of mine.

Cheers
    Last edited by Kloschüssel; 02-27-2012 at 06:22 AM. Reason: fix typo