Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I have encountered a situation which I cannot makes sense of, but I'm not a networking expert, so I thought I'd ask for help here. I used to run ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

strange internet problems with linux

Hey, I have encountered a situation which I cannot makes sense of, but I'm not a networking expert, so I thought I'd ask for help here.

I used to run only linux on my computer, and the internet connection worked fine (ethernet). I recently installed windows on a seperate hard drive, and that also worked fine. Switching back to linux, however, the internet suddenly move very slowly, and times on out almost any connection I try to make. Specifically it never seems to able to connect to 192.168.1.1, which is my router. The only other thing which happened during this time is that I plugged another computer into my modem instead of router.

I have tried everything to get this problem to go away- disconnecting the other computer, rebooting both router and modem, connecting straight to the modem, even booting from a live cd to see if it was some configuration issue with my current distro. No dice. It gets funnier: a separate PCI ethernet adapter does not encounter this problem. Only the onboard ethernet, only on linux, and only since I installed windows.

Most of the cable modems lock onto the MAC address of the device that is plugged into it. Once you remove one to plug in another you have to reboot the modem by pulling the power for ~5 minutes and then plugging it in again to reset the MAC address. Best advice is to plug a router into the modem and then plug any other device into it.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Well, I don't see why it would matter if the modem locked onto the MAC because they were the same. Also, my original configuration WAS to have a router plugged into the modem and all other devices plugged into it. And to top it off, I rebooted the modem too. I really don't get this.

So is the computer plugged into the router or the modem?

Look at your NIC settings with ethtool.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

on some of those cable modems, they have a battery that needs to be pulled when you unplug them if you don't pull the battery it doesn't forget the stored mac address

OK, this is a wild guess. When your operating system uses the ethernet
    hardware, it sets up certain parameters like speed, ten or one hundred
    megabits and full or half duplex. Some may get stuck in one mode
    and act wonky when you boot the other OS. I've had older network
    cards that lacked the ability to auto-negotiate these parameters
    and defaulted to five megabit, half duplex. Check the settings in
    Windows, in the control panel.

@Lazydog: I've tried both. Originally it was plugged into the router. I am about to reboot and investigate the settings on linux.

@rcgreen: It is a newer Realtek (I always seem to have bad luck with them) chip and seems to be set to auto negotiate.

Have you tried completely shutting off the power, then
    booting Linux? Maybe that will reset it. Also, you might
    check if people have reported bugs in the driver.