Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i would like to create a home network. i want to have NAS servers and the router and all the other 'brains' in a rack in the basement. i'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

network planning

hi,
    i would like to create a home network.

i want to have NAS servers and the router and all the other 'brains' in a rack in the basement.

i'm not a fan of wireless but i have a laptop so i would like wifi coverage throughout the house. this house kills wifi signal so i would need more than one 'access point' ideally i'd like them to both function as one so i can move through the house and stay connected, rather then having to disconnect from one point and then reconnect to another.

i plan to have XBMC machines in my bedroom and the living room, these will need a wired connection.
    i will also need a couple of wired connections in each room.

so basically,
    the house has 3 floors plus a basement.
    i will need at least two wifi 'points' that 'act as one'
    i will need... about 15 or so 'network sockets' for things like cctv, computers, xbmc machines, etc.

i would also like to be able to limit the bandwidth on certain devices.
    we have lodgers who use our internet. i am fed up of them slowing my internet right down!

also, because of the lodgers i would like the NAS to be password protected. i will have public folders that anyone can access (but the lodgers can not delete or modify any files that have not been put there by them) and private folders, for example i would have one called 'ljarrald' that would have all my documents and stuff in, but is pwd protected and maybe encrypted.

there is other stuff i should mention too but i feel like i am rambling on with a WANT WANT WANT post.
    i am sorry, i am not very good at explaining myself. if you want me to explain any parts again, just ask and i will.

i know the basics of networks and stuff, but thats about it. i really want to learn though! are there any good videos or anything online that you would suggest i take a look at?

again, sorry for the stupidly long post. i'll make it up to you guys eventually

-luke

Hi.

This question is too complicated to be solved without more detailed information. It's like asking "can you teach how to make pizza?", but you don't tell us whether you would like salami or peperoni on your pizza - or maybe you don't even have a kitchen to bake it?

That said, I would like to encourage you to make a detailed plan. This means that you would split your wishlist into tasks that need to be done.

For example: you need networking - wired and wireless. Thinking of the wired networking you have to answer the question how fast must it be? Is 100mbit enough, or do I need 1gbit? If you choose 1gbit, the cable requirements are cat6 or better. Better cables cost more, thus you got to measure how many meters of cable you are going to need and then you know how much it is going to cost. Etc, etc, ..

Use the internets to find answers and if you can't find them feel free to start a new thread with a simpler question that can be answered without guessing whether schrödinger's cat is still alive or not (Schrödinger's cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Cheers

Just Joined!
    yeah. sorry. this was a rushed, rubbish thread.
    the main reason i made it now is because now is the best time to run wires as i can lift floorboards and stuff before the new carpets go down.

here is a simple question, does every single Ethernet port need to be wired right down to the basement to a switch, or could i have something along the lines of one switch for each floor so that if i have, say 5 ethernet ports on one floor, they all goto a switch which has only one cable going into the basement, rather than all 5 of the cables for each port going to the basement.

i guess this would slow things down. but by how much? we don't really need mega fast internet speeds (although obviously we'd like the fastest possible within reason) because all we really do is download torrents, stream youtube, etc, etc.

thanks
    (and may i add, this forum seems like one of the most helpful ones i've been on.)

here is a simple question, does every single Ethernet port need to be wired right down to the basement to a switch, or could i have something along the lines of one switch for each floor so that if i have, say 5 ethernet ports on one floor, they all goto a switch which has only one cable going into the basement, rather than all 5 of the cables for each port going to the basement.
    You correctly guessed that the bottleneck is the single cable that goes down into the basement. I.e.:

2nd floor: switch3 { pc5, pc6 }
    1st floor: switch2 { switch3, pc3, pc4 }
    basement: switch1 { switch2, pc1, pc2 }

In theory, if pc3, pc4 or pc5 transfers a file to pc1 and uses all the bandwidth available then pc6 will be able to transfer a file to pc2 with only a half of a gigabit while the other pc will have to throttle his speed. But it is only a problem when two pcs want to use the full gigabit at the same time. That said, internet could be slow for pc6 if pc1 has an uncompressed UDP HD multimedia stream open to pc3 because it already uses up the full gigabit from the basement to the 1st floor (uncompressed hd streams need a bandwidth around 1.3gbit/s).

IMHO, a single cable will be enough - or do you plan to stream your full hd videos to every room so that everyone can watch it lying in his own bed? It could make sense to plan a cable from the basement to every floor since it doesn't cost much more (maybe 10m of cable?).

Cheers
    Last edited by Kloschüssel; 03-12-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: tons of typos

Just Joined!
    rather than switch on switch on switch, i was thinking more along the lines of a switch on each floor that then goes all the way to the basement.

something like the diagram below. i hope you understand it, if not let me know and i'll explain it.

damn, i'm still under 15 posts so i can't link images.

you can find it by removing the spaces in the below link.

ht t p: // i.imgur .com /tGWcJ .png

Yes, I already mentioned that possibility:

It could make sense to plan a cable from the basement to every floor since it doesn't cost much more (maybe 10m of cable?).
    Cheers