Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by lewmur Actually, almost any laptop can be used to do this. Attach its wired port to WAN port of a regular wireless router. Use its wireless to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by lewmur View Post
    Actually, almost any laptop can be used to do this. Attach its wired port to WAN port of a regular wireless router. Use its wireless to connect to the campsite and then "share" this connection with the wired port. Then all of your other wireless devices can connect can connect to your router.
    Useful info, thanks for posting this. Have you ever tried it?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I recommend getting something such as the EnGenius EOC2611P wireless access point/client bridge. no need for a secondary computer, everything is built into it. they use power over ethernet so just one cable goes to the device, and you can even set it up outdoors. i havent had to pay for internet in 5 years! started with the 2600P now i have two (home and boat)
    for more customization options you can get the dd-wrt firmware (cost a few euros but well worth it).
    what you can do with this nifty device is exactly what you want, grab wifi and re-broadcast it under a new name. you can even hook up a router to it and spread it that way.
    if you cant find them in the UK maybe netgear or dlink have something similar. even cisco makes them. Client Bridge is what your after.
    enjoy.

Just Joined!

Quick question

Quote Originally Posted by elmo40 View Post
    I recommend getting something such as the EnGenius EOC2611P wireless access point/client bridge. no need for a secondary computer, everything is built into it. they use power over ethernet so just one cable goes to the device, and you can even set it up outdoors. i havent had to pay for internet in 5 years! started with the 2600P now i have two (home and boat)
    for more customization options you can get the dd-wrt firmware (cost a few euros but well worth it).
    what you can do with this nifty device is exactly what you want, grab wifi and re-broadcast it under a new name. you can even hook up a router to it and spread it that way.
    if you cant find them in the UK maybe netgear or dlink have something similar. even cisco makes them. Client Bridge is what your after.
    enjoy.
    That sounds promising. The big question is (and its why I presumed I would need some form of PC) will I be able to enter the "time codes" that I have to buy to get access to the wireless into the router itself?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2