Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hopefully this is the right place to post this. As a family we travel quite a bit and often stay at campsites with wireless access. Of course its paid for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mini router from wireless access

Hopefully this is the right place to post this.

As a family we travel quite a bit and often stay at campsites with wireless access. Of course its paid for and comes in batches of hours as a rule with a single code. Typically we use wifi to update newspapers and the like on various devices - some wifi only. WHich in itself doesnt take long. But it does use 3 devices which means 3 codes or alternatively a minimum buy of 3 hours (or 3 days depending on the place).

I'm thinking that's a bit on the unfair side for the limited amount of airtime we actually use. I was wondering if it was possible to have a small computer (like a Pi in the longer term for instance), use a wireless dongle etc to get the signal in using the code etc for the wireless and then distribute via another wireless dongle to the devices. Or am I just trying to get a bit cute here?

ANy help appreciated.

Just Joined!
    I am not sure about that... but if I were you I would get a AT&T or Verizon mifi. This is like a portable router that you can put in you pocket. It also allows wifi to any device around it.

Just Joined!

Wondered about that

Quote Originally Posted by PYTH0N View Post
    I am not sure about that... but if I were you I would get a AT&T or Verizon mifi. This is like a portable router that you can put in you pocket. It also allows wifi to any device around it.

I thought about that idea. But I'm in the UK (so there's something very similar) but I can do hotspot tethering like that with my phone. The only thing is the reception tends to be terrible if there's anything at all.

Thanks for the idea though.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    What you're talking about is possible.
    If you happen to have a laptop with built-in wireless, for example, you could attach another USB adapter.
    That way, you could receive the Wi-Fi with the built-in, and setup a little hotspot using the adapter to transmit.

You might want to speak to the folks at the campsites, though, to make sure that this isn't in violation of any of their terms of service.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!

Thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    What you're talking about is possible.
    If you happen to have a laptop with built-in wireless, for example, you could attach another USB adapter.
    That way, you could receive the Wi-Fi with the built-in, and setup a little hotspot using the adapter to transmit.

You might want to speak to the folks at the campsites, though, to make sure that this isn't in violation of any of their terms of service.
    Is it going to be a simple case of setting up forwarding in a similar way to internet connection sharing then? I've a small laptop that may be able to do the job.

Good point re asking about terms of service too.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by malcmail View Post
    Is it going to be a simple case of setting up forwarding in a similar way to internet connection sharing then? I've a small laptop that may be able to do the job.
    The ease of it would depend on the system you're using.
    I've only ever done it with Ubuntu, and it's been a little while. But I was using Network Manager with it, so any Linux distro using NM should be fairly easy.
    Simply edit one of the wireless connections to Share, or something similar. You'll be able to setup a password for this little network, so that you're other devices would then connect to the laptop very much like a home network.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Until a year or so ago, I'd have said ChiliSpot, but it and its developer have gone missing.

Have a look at Linux LiveCD HotSpot Server | Wi-Fi Hotspot

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcmail View Post
    Hopefully this is the right place to post this.

As a family we travel quite a bit and often stay at campsites with wireless access. Of course its paid for and comes in batches of hours as a rule with a single code. Typically we use wifi to update newspapers and the like on various devices - some wifi only. WHich in itself doesnt take long. But it does use 3 devices which means 3 codes or alternatively a minimum buy of 3 hours (or 3 days depending on the place).

I'm thinking that's a bit on the unfair side for the limited amount of airtime we actually use. I was wondering if it was possible to have a small computer (like a Pi in the longer term for instance), use a wireless dongle etc to get the signal in using the code etc for the wireless and then distribute via another wireless dongle to the devices. Or am I just trying to get a bit cute here?

ANy help appreciated.
    I would look at the devices which are sold under the name "pocket router". Lots of them on eBay.

You might need two of them. One in "Wireless Client" mode to receive the signal from the campsite and translate it to wired Ethernet. The second in "Router" mode to receive the wired Ethernet and rebroadcast it as your own private network.

Alternatively, if your three local devices can use wired Ethernet, you need only one pocket router, in "Wireless Client" mode and a small Ethernet switch to connect all of the local devices.

Just Joined!
    Actually, almost any laptop can be used to do this. Attach its wired port to WAN port of a regular wireless router. Use its wireless to connect to the campsite and then "share" this connection with the wired port. Then all of your other wireless devices can connect can connect to your router.

Just Joined!

Thanks everyone

I'll check out the pocket routers and also see if I can pull it off with a USB dongle in my tiny laptop. Think that would be the preferred option simply based on the availability of sockets. And trying not to upset the other half carrying lots of extra "clutter".

Thanks again one and all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast