Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, I've been having a bit of a problem lately trying to play Battlefield 3 on my PS3 when other computers are running on my network. I'm looking for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Traffic shaping with Ubuntu?

Hey everyone, I've been having a bit of a problem lately trying to play Battlefield 3 on my PS3 when other computers are running on my network.

I'm looking for a program or method to set bandwidth limits on some devices to try to guarantee the PS3 enough bandwidth to play without lagging.

With the research I have done what I can find is that there is something called Quality of Service (QoS), and traffic shaping -- which are good and fine but I don't believe my Westell router supports them and I don't want to have to do anything crazy with my router.

And I am a Linux greenhorn so something simple would be ideal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated by me and my BF3 squad.

Hi

If you want to traffic shape the traffic of other hosts, you either:

1] have to do that on each host or
    2] have to set up the router to prioritize your traffic over other traffic

If you do 1], all you can do is limiting the incoming and outgoing bandwidth for every host. If the sum of the other hosts incoming/outgoing bandwidth is smaller than the available internet connection speed, the remaining bandwidth falls to you. My personal premise here is: it's a horror to set up and maintain.

Therefore you will probably want to do 2] and control the traffic in one central place - which is your router. Either that router supports it or you have to replace it with a router that can. If it turns out to become a linux router I would recommend you to search the internets about "traffic control (tc)", "iptables" and "iproute2".

In terms of iptables, prioritizing traffic can be easy as that: http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.cookboo...tive-prio.html. More sophisticated solutions may be much more complicated.

Cheers