Find the answer to your Linux question:
I a totally newbie in Linux although I want to learn it badly. Hope someone can really help me here, and thanks. I have just install a Derbian Linux and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't connect to Internet via WinXP

I a totally newbie in Linux although I want to learn it badly. Hope someone can really help me here, and thanks.

I have just install a Derbian Linux and seems everything is ok. Problem is I don't know how to connect it to internet. I went to root, and do some pings, no problems. But I cant connect to Internet via Netscape or Konqueror. My setting is as follow:

My Linux PC is LAN with a window xp, and my internet connection is with window xp.
    Linux_PC------>WinXP_PC------->Internet.

My ipconfig setting on WinXp:
    Windows IP Configuration
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

PPP adapter DSL100U Dial-Up:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 210.24.xxx.xx
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 210.24.xxx.xx

My ifconfig on Linux:
    eth0 inet addr:192.168.0.117 Bcast 192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    lo inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask 255.0.0.0
    slo 192.168.0.1 P-t-P 192.168.0.2 Mask:255.255.255.255

Route on Linux:
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    192.168.0.2 * 255.255.255.255 UH 1 0 0 slo
    192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 eth0
    default 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
    default * 0.0.0.0 U 1 0 0 slo

I'm not sure if the route is correct or wrong, because I know nut about them. I just play around with the numbers. Also, on resolv.conf, I have edited on the following which I know it is wrong but not sure what are the correct numbers.

resolv.conf
    search 192.168.0.117
    nameserver 210.24.xxx.xx

Please help and guide me step by step as this is my first ever touch on Linux. Thanks alot

Linux Engineer
    In your windows XP machine, do you have a network card that connects to your Linux box, and is it on the same IP Range.
    Again on your XP Machine, (It seems your having a DSL Setup) did you specified a shared connection to the other NIC you have (for linux) and most important of all, do you have access to Internet from that machine.

If I was you, I'dd do the other way around, My internet connection throu Linux then my windows Xp throu my LinuxBox. this way, you'll be protected properly (if you set your firewall properly)

Since the technology is on our side, have you ever considered a better way to share your internet connection... Hub, Router are some inexpensible solution that yould work way better then letting your OS manage the connection...

yet again this is based on my personnal experience, but I know for a fact that a router if faster then letting windows Xp managing 2 different NIC!...
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by UgoDeschamps
    If I was you, I'dd do the other way around, My internet connection throu Linux then my windows Xp throu my LinuxBox. this way, you'll be protected properly (if you set your firewall properly)
    Ugo's right, dstme: you might want to see this post from a few minutes ago.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    I have network cards on both win XP machine and Linux machine (cross cable); and WinXP machine is connected to internet (ADSL Dynamic IP).

Previously, both machines are running winXP and they are LAN up using cross-cable as well. More economical ($) for me. I wanted to use one machine on Linux, so I setup Linux--->WinXP---->internet

There is no problem doing a ping from Linux machine, but somehow it cannot connect to Internet. I read from some forum that I need to change some setting either from route or resolv.conf. So far I edit those files, but not successful and not sure if they are correct(obviously wrong since it's still not connected to internet)

Any solution? Plz help. Seems Linux is not user-friendly and I can't get any help from Debian or any books.(been to Library)

Also, I wanted to make sure I know how to use Linux before I do what you guys said, and in fact I like both machines to run Linux. But before that, I need to know how to run Linux and make sure it can work. I'm too new with Linux.