Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello i'm looking for a good tutorial on setting up a Ubuntu 10.04 server as a router/gateway. i have already installed Ubuntu 10.04 server software along with webmen, phpmyadmin and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

help replacing a router with a server

hello
    i'm looking for a good tutorial on setting up a Ubuntu 10.04 server as a router/gateway.
    i have already installed Ubuntu 10.04 server software along with webmen, phpmyadmin and ssh.
    this was a server i was using to test out wordpress.
    i know i have to have two nic cards.
    where do i start, there are a lot of tutorials on the subject, thought i would ask first
    before picking one because if i have a problem i will be asking here for advice.

Hi

There are lots of linux distributions around that are much better suited for setting up a router/gateway (endian, IPFire or IPCop to mention some of them). If you are well aware that setting up another distribution involves a lot more effort to install, configure and maintain the installation and still want to use a debian derivate distribution like ubuntu, I see plain old good debian (i.e. currently it would be squeeze) as a better candidate for this kind of usecase because it is updated very slowly and therefore much more stable. If you still decide that it should be ubuntu, I would again wait for the release of 12.04 (according to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseSchedule it will be in roughly a month on 1. May 2012) because it is the next LTS (long term support) release. Setting up 10.04 now means that you will have to either set it up from scratch or dist-upgrade in the next 3 years.

Despite all this, asking google for "ubuntu router gateway" yields a lot of good tutorials, among the first: Howto: Set up Ubuntu as a firewall/gateway router with webmin - Ubuntu Forums

Cheers
    Last edited by Kloschüssel; 03-27-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: fix typos

help replacing a router with a server

thank you Kloschüssel
    i looked at IPFire and IPCop and both look interesting but i think ubuntu 10.04 with webmen will give me the flexibility i need. when i google i did not come up with the link to ubuntu forum, i think that is what i will use first and see what happens. i'm not a fan in any way of ubuntu 12.04 i think 10.04 will be the last update i do in ubuntu i don't own any tablets and 10.04 does everything i need.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You're welcome and good luck! Let others know how you get on and share the experience you gained. It may become useful to others one day.

Cheers