Find the answer to your Linux question:
newbie here. I have two DNS servers (master and slave) for serving the machine name: sub1.example.com. I don't have any access to DNS server of the domain: example.com. Is it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

setting multiple subdomain for a single ip

newbie here.

I have two DNS servers (master and slave) for serving the machine name: sub1.example.com. I don't have any access to DNS server of the domain: example.com.

Is it possible for me to add another subdomain for example sub2.example.com only by modifying my two DNS servers? If it is possible, could anyone tell me how to do it?

Sorry for my bad English. Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Although not technically a Linux question, I will try to help.
    First, who is your webhost? Does your host use cPanel? If so, this is a simple matter. Simply scroll down to "subdomains"
    within the Doains section of your profile.
    However, if I understand correctly, this does not apply to you? zIf you don't have access to your servers backend, then you have just one option: contact your host. They will either have to grant you access, or set up the subdomain for you. That is if your hosting plan even allows subdomains. Many hosts that do not give full server access also do not allow subdomains.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the response.

Actually it belongs to the school. My school has domain: example.com. My department has domain: cs.example.com, and my laboratory department has domain: lab1.cs.example.com.

I was asked to create another sub domain: lab2.cs.example.com, but I have no access to the DNS server of cs.example.com. I only have administrator access to lab1.cs.example.com DNS server running CentOS Linux. I know how to create sub domain under lab1.cs.example.com (example: test.lab1.cs.example.com), but I don't know whether it is possible to create lab2.cs.example.com without access to the cs.example.com DNS server.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Not unless you want a subdomain of a subdomain. Essentially, as I said, if you do not have access to the server, or at least the primary domain, you can't create asubdomain. At least, not as far as I know. The thing is creating a sub-domain is basically simply a matter of creating a directory. You can't create a subdirectory in a directory you do not have access to.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the quick response.

The purpose is only to create the subdomain lab2.cs.example.com and point it to the same ip address of lab1.cs.example.com (without creating any directory), is it possible? therefore, if somebody try to ping or access lab2.cs.example.com, it will be redirected to our server (lab1.cs.example.com).

I will explain more detail as follow:

The server hierarchy is something like this:
    server of example.com is the main server (I don't know where it is located in the school).
    Each department has its own servers (ex: cs.example.com, bio.example.com, etc.. also don't know where they are located.).
    Each laboratory under the department has its own servers (ex: lab1.cs.example.com, lab2.cs.example.com, lab1.bio.example.com, etc...).
    Each laboratory was given some range of public ip and has to manage their own servers (DNS, web, email, etc).

One of the laboratory is getting closed down (lab2.cs.example.com), and our lab was asked by the former lab to host their homepage in our server. I only get their homepage materials and no access to their old servers, therefore I want to point the lab2.cs.example.com to the same ip of lab1.cs.example.com and host their homepage in our own web server by setting up virtual host. Should I ask the upper authority (the cs.example.com) to point the lab2.cs.example.com to our server's ip address? or if it is possible by modifying our own DNS server only, I would be glad if someone can tell me how to configure the DNS server (named.conf, etc).

Just Joined!
    I simply do not see any way for you toaccomplis your goal without access to the other lab's directories. I would suggest speaking to the appropriate authority to admin permiddo to mkr the neede changes.