Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, Hoping someone has a little more experience with iptables than I - shouldn't be too hard. I am just wondering if anyone can confirm whether or not the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

iptables question: --dports option and context

Hi All,

Hoping someone has a little more experience with iptables than I - shouldn't be too hard.

I am just wondering if anyone can confirm whether or not the --dports option only works in some contexts or whether it can be used in place of the usual --dport option as a valid way to consolidate many rules into single multi-port rules.

eg.

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dports 135,137,138,139 -m recent --name portscan --set -j DROP

Thanks,

Johnny

--dports is just that, multiple ports in a signal rule, or am I not understanding your question?

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    --dports is just that, multiple ports in a signal rule, or am I not understanding your question?
    Yes, I am asking if that is in fact the case.

I have read through the iptables man page but it is not explicit about the context of --dports as far as I am concerned.

Furthermore, the only place I can find reference to --dports being used, it is being used with a -m multiport option; Please see the rule I am referencing below:
    iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m multiport --dports 22,80,443 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

Could you confirm whether my rule will work as it is, or would I need to change it and add the -m multiport option? (my rule is listed below)
    iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dports 135,137,138,139 -m recent --name portscan --set -j DROP

Thanks for your help,

Johnny

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygear View Post
    Yes, I am asking if that is in fact the case.

I have read through the iptables man page but it is not explicit about the context of --dports as far as I am concerned.

Furthermore, the only place I can find reference to --dports being used, it is being used with a -m multiport option; Please see the rule I am referencing below:
    iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m multiport --dports 22,80,443 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

Could you confirm whether my rule will work as it is, or would I need to change it and add the -m multiport option? (my rule is listed below)

Thanks for your help,

Johnny
    After doing some further reading I have come to the conclusion that the right way to construct a multi port rule such as mine is as follows:

RANGE:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m multiport --dports 135:139 -m recent --name portscan --set -j DROP

INDUVIDUAL PORTS:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m multiport --dports 135,136,137,138,139 -m recent --name portscan --set -j DROP

Thanks for the help everyone.

Regards,

Johnny