Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey All, I have a chilli dhcp server and as I noticed it can prove many info in chilli_query except of client name. But I would like to receive that. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool get client name from chilli dhcp server

Hey All,

I have a chilli dhcp server and as I noticed it can prove many info in chilli_query except of client name. But I would like to receive that. I have two ideas:

1. I read on the internet I can get that from radius server. But I do not know how and I also doubt I receive dhcp client name instead of client name logged to the radius server. I really want the connected clients.

2. Modify the source code. I like this option as it is short. For this I checked other dhcp applications how these can get the dhcp client name. But I found nothing. I thought it uses gethostbyaddr() or similat. But nothing in the source code.

Could you give me idea how other dhcp does this or how I should do this modifying chilli dhcp?

Thanks all help, idea,

Tamas

Trusted Penguin
    If you check out ISC's DHCP server (default on most Linux distros), you'll find it is capable of assigning a hostname to a DHCP client, via server configuration. In particular, check out the host-name and the use-host-decl-names parameters.

If you have dhcp package installed, you can read up on them with

Code:
    man dhcpd.conf