Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I've got a HP Compaq thin client t5525. It's a small thin client from 2006 with a VIA 800MHz, 128Mo RAM and 256Mo flash disk. I'm a beginner with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

upgrade rdesktop on thin client

Hello.

I've got a HP Compaq thin client t5525. It's a small thin client from 2006 with a VIA 800MHz, 128Mo RAM and 256Mo flash disk.
    I'm a beginner with this kind of hardware, and my english isn't very good. Sorry.
    I got it without any document or any software installed. So on HP website I've found a Linux image (2.4 kernel) and installed it.
    My test "Server" is a Windows 7 Pro PC.

When the thin client boots on its Linux system, it can ping and be pinged from the Windows 7 PC. The integrated Firefox browser can access Internet. I've tried my Windows 7 PC IP and the PC name as "Computer" without success.

It seams I must install a newer version of rdesktop, but I can't make it. I've downloaded 1.7.1, uncompressed it, but when I enter "make" I've an erreur message. How to do ?

I just want to run RDP for my Windows PC, so if the solution is to install another linux or another OS, another tool,... I'm OK with this. Just want to make it work !

Thank your for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gakman; 05-01-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Hi

First in windows 7 remote desktop setting make sure you select "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)."
    Now in the thinclient make sure DNS is configured properly in network settings, or just type the IP address instead of your computer name in the rdesktop connection window
    Should work now

Bon chance mon ami

Merci !
    rdesktop included into my t5525 is too old for Windows 7... After a lot of tries and posts read, I've upgraded it (to 1.6) and it works ! But I think I'll search to change the Linux distro.
    But since the CPU is a VIA Eden, I can't use usual Linux USB installers (there's an error : Pae cx8 ). I'll try to learn how to use PE system over local network.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi, Gakman!
    I just found your post on this Forum and I have exactly the same problem! I have an HP 5525, and find that with modern Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, I cannot use it anymore to RDP into these devices. However, I have always found it to be a good piece of kit, and am loathe to junk it. I would be grateful for any tips on how to upgrade the redsktop binary on it. I'll have a look around as well on the Net, but you have done this already so your advice would be much appreciated. I am into compiling up from source, but as always, the problem is getting all the files correct first.

Cheers!

Hello jlmallard!
    I've found this webpage : "How to flash WinCE from t5530 to t51x5 (or update rdesktop)". I can't post you URL, since I've less than 15 posts. Search the title or "How to update rdesktop to 1.6 in the t5125" in Google. It's explained how to install rdesktop 1.6 (and there's an already made script). This same page offer a solution to use a Windows CE from a t5530, too.
    I haven't tried with rdesktop 1.7.1 since all is described for 1.6, but method must be the same. If you try, tell me the result.
    A very usefull tutorial!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that, Gakman! I will have a look at this when I have time! Cheers!