Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I got Samba working between my computer (SuSE 9.2 Professional with Samba 3.0.10) and Windows XP computer. By working, I mean that I can access the windows computer in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba is working, but need to iron out a few bugs...

Hello,

I got Samba working between my computer (SuSE 9.2 Professional with Samba 3.0.10) and Windows XP computer. By working, I mean that I can access the windows computer in the network browser in SuSE as well as mount the shares.

Now, the problem is that I can only access some files and the files are streaming very slowly. I'm trying to play audio files from the Windows computer and basically in XMMS I get audio for like 2 seconds and then some buffering and then playing again and then buffering again... and so on. Also, copying files takes a long time. It took me about 1 hour to copy 100 MB, which normally only takes a few minutes between two Windows machines.

Also, I can only access some files. There are a lot of files that I just can't access.. they can't be read or copied at all even though they exist on the Windows share.

Any ideas on how to remedy these problems?

Just Joined!
    I figured out the problem and it isn't Samba at all. Its the Windows computer. Apparantly, it thinks all the hard drives are SCSI and no other computer, not even a Windows XP laptop, can access the files on it over the network. I can see the files in the network browser, but can't do anything with them.

I know this is a Linux forum, but the problem on the Windows machine couldn't be corrected even after a format, so if anyone has any experience with this let me know. The hard drives are all installed as Master on three different RAID channels. We never had a problem with two drives, but after we installed the third drive yesterday, for some reason Windows now thinks they are all SCSI and one of the drives is completely missing from Windows Explorer.

Thanks.