Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
interesting...have you tried temporarily stopping iptables on the Linux box just to see if that is interfering?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Trusted Penguin

interesting...have you tried temporarily stopping iptables on the Linux box just to see if that is interfering?

Linux Newbie
    with the iptables off nothing appens so its the same...

Trusted Penguin
    that would lead me back to looking at the wireless router itself, and the port-forwarding mechanism i suggested before. It may be the the wireless router has detected that your Windows box wants to allow that port to be redirected but your Linux box is not doing that. Something to do with Universal Plug and Play (which supports port mapping). Check out the manual (check the page # I referenced before) and log on to the router and see if you can find where/how to specify port forwarding/mapping.

Linux Newbie
    I REALLY need to this work before the next thursday.... this is sooo annoying... god.....

Ive been reading the manual of the router and there nothing about ports for linux....

Ive been reading the manual of the router and there nothing about ports for linux....
    You won't find anything along those lines. You forward the port
    to the IP address of the server. It is also a good idea to set up the router
    to always assign the same IP address to each server when they reboot,
    or to give the servers fixed IP addresses.

Linux Newbie
    I need to trun this computer working at 100000000% before next thursday just like a VPS becose the VPS's are to expencive and this computer have a god ram so....

Just tell me how to resolve this ****ing problem.....

frist how can i set a fixed IP? i think i cant.....

second im almost sure there is no problem in the router ports becouse ive done just like to the windows but change the internal ip from my windows computer the the linux ip.....

so.. i think is something in the linux im almost sure but... how... where... ..... this is sooooo annoying.....

If clean everything in the computer and reinstall the linux it can works? maybye ive done something wrong in the linux configuration...
    Last edited by Joaogl; 05-29-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Linux Newbie
    i dont know if is this or no but IP Fixo (Linux) - www.jeffersoncosta.com.br - YouTube

there is in etc there is a file called network and i dont have that file.....

Trusted Penguin
    i don't speak that language (in the youtube demo you linked), but the prompt on the PC said "ubuntu", so i'm guessing it was /etc/network/interfaces? If you are using a RedHat based distro (CentOS, Fedora, etc.) then you will *not* have this directory - you don't need it. Instead, you will have this file, /etc/sysconfig/network, and these NIC-specific config files: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*.

If you really think your Linux network stack is screwy, you can always try booting from a Live Linux distro and trying to set things up temporarily on a pristine Linux system. You can do it with CentOS, Fedora, Ubuntu, most of the big players.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Joaogl View Post
    Just tell me how to resolve this ****ing problem.....
    remember, we are volunteers here, and we are trying.

frist how can i set a fixed IP? i think i cant.....
    Check your configuration files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ dir. There should be an "ifcfg-*" file for each configured NIC. You set the static ip/netmask/default gateway (and DNS maybe, too) in this file. Here's a minimal example:
    Code:
    [root@localhost ~]# cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
    [root@localhost /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth0
    DEVICE=eth0
    ONBOOT=yes
    BOOTPROTO=static
    IPADDR=192.168.1.4
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
    [root@localhost /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts]#
    In this case, i don't have DNS in there, I use /etc/resolv.conf instead. Read up on configuring network settings for CentOS here.

The whole point of setting static IP is so that, as rcgreen suggested, you can reliably do port forwarding (or whatever your router calls it). I know your Windows box and the router work w/out you doing anything, but maybe you do need to do something for the port-forwarding to work for the Linux PC. It won't say "forward Linux ports here", I think I told you what page/section of the THOMSON manual to look at.

Maybe try googling THOMSON port forwarding - here's one example.

Linux Newbie
    first i know you are all volunteers but i was soooo desperate.....

I dont have that file with that only a lot of ifup.... and ifdown...

I have one question.

If i buy a DNS like www.joaogl.net

Can i use the joaogl.net to the server? or is not that is an other thing

I mean when this works i would like to have in the ip some thing like joaogl.net:25567 for example..... can i do it?

And if i do it do you think the problem will be resolved?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast