Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone, I don't have much experience setting up my wireless manually, and I thought it would be a good exercise to try. Once I have successfully done this, I'll ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face Wireless Problems: With WPA Supplicant

Hello Everyone,

I don't have much experience setting up my wireless manually, and I thought it would be a good exercise to try. Once I have successfully done this, I'll proceed to using a client. From that line of reasoning, Lo and behold, I am now stuck here.

Below is the output of iwconfig without connecting my ethernet and with connecting my ethernet, respectively. I have also removed my essid.

Code:
    # iwconfig
    lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11abg  ESSID:"**"  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated   
              Tx-Power=14 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off

eth0      no wireless extensions.

# iwconfig
    lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11abg  ESSID:"**"  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:5.745 GHz  Access Point: 68:7F:74:C6:0E:AE   
              Bit Rate=18 Mb/s   Tx-Power=14 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=70/70  Signal level=-36 dBm  
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

eth0      no wireless extensions.
    Neither case allows me to access the internet wirelessly.

To explain further:
    I've been reading documentation about using 'wpa_supplicant' to set up a wireless connection using WPA2, and have proceeded to configure wpa_supplicant.conf file manually.

I believe my problem occurs when I use the command
    # wpa_supplicant -B -Dnl80211 -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

As documentation has informed me that I am to receive output that reads "Authorized", yet I do not receive any such output. I have done research online on Google, and various sources of documentation found online.

Perhaps my knowledge is limited, or perhaps a particular key piece of information among the documentation I've read has slipped my eye. Regardless, I am now in this situation, and I would love to find the solution to my problem.

If you can link me to documentation or any other resource that can help me, I would appreciate it.

Just Joined!
    replace -B option with -d to run wpa_supplicant in the foreground. The output might give you some clue

Linux Guru
    It is possible that the default gateway is not set. Look at the output of this command:
    Code:
    route -n
    If the gateway is not correct, then that could be the problem. See this for more info:

Linux setup default gateway with route command
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close