Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I was wandering how one could set up a network within a network. I just moved into an office that gives me dhcp access, but I want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up network within a network

Hey all, I was wandering how one could set up a network within a network. I just moved into an office that gives me dhcp access, but I want to have my own network up with its own dhcp server but still have access to the internet outside.

It would be useful if the Ip's ont the internal network could possibly overlap with the outer network without causing problems (as i dont know what they may be outside). Hopefully, it would not matter as computers on the inner most network would use those ips, and then if the ip wasnt there, they would go to the router.

Also, I cant seem to find any actual router's on ebuyer.com, they keep having the title of router, but usually they are actually switches. The ones that are actually routers usually take a phone or cable input, but I need to take an ethernet port in. Any advice/links to routers would be grateful.

Stu

Also, I cant seem to find any actual router's on ebuyer.com, they keep having the title of router, but usually they are actually switches.
    There are plenty such routers out there. Quite cheap and really good hardware have the Asus WL-500G Premium or its successor the RT-N16 which comes even with gigabit controllers.

I, for instance, have set up the WL-500GPv2 which still serves me well since more than 3 years. I installed a linux operating system (openwrt/whiterussian) on it.

Just Joined!
    I looked up the RT-N16 on ebuyer, it states that its a switch in the description which makes me worry. However when I looked at the asus website for the product it clearly shows 1x WAN and just states router so I think its what I need.
    Ill just have to get it, see if it works and send it back if not. Thanks.

Stu

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close