Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a non-linux compatible ADSL modem. I have windows xp and i have recently built a linux box and i have installed Redhat 9. I know a bit about ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Networking linx with windows

I have a non-linux compatible ADSL modem. I have windows xp and i have recently built a linux box and i have installed Redhat 9.

I know a bit about networking and linux ive tried samba but its a bit difficult. I really just want the internet on linux as i want to get away from windows.

My modem is USB.

Has anyone got any tips?

Linux Newbie
    Since your internet connection is on your Windows box, you need to look into Internet Connection Sharing on Windows XP. Helping you actually do that part is outside the scope of this forum.

Once you have ICS setup on Windows, you just need to set your Linux box to use the Windows machine as a gateway. You'll need a hub / crossover cable / etc to connect the Linux and Windows machines together.

In RedHat 9, you'll need to add the following line to your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file
    Code:
    GATEWAY=ip.of.winxp.box
    Blog - KB5UMQ - Linux User #272983
    3 Rules:
    1) "It doesn't work..." is simply not useful information.
    2) Don't cross post!
    3) If you are asking for help, start by telling us your distro/os and version.

Linux Engineer
    in suse you can use yast to enter the ip of your windows box as gateway to access the net...
    Linux For Ever!