Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, Currently I have one laptop with 3 standard users, this laptop is incrementally backed up to a server nightly. I have got a new laptop I am adding ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Would a private cloud suit my needs with new network setup

Hi all,

Currently I have one laptop with 3 standard users, this laptop is incrementally backed up to a server nightly.

I have got a new laptop I am adding to the network and would like to configure it differently.

The server has a hard drive partitioned, user a, user b, user c.

As each user can use either laptop I would like it so that if they work on a file on one laptop then open the file on the other laptop, the most up to date version of the file is opened.

I was thinking to setup the default 'save as' place would be the users partition on the server hard drive over ssh, but I have no idea how to do this. Then I thought maybe a private cloud running on the server would be easier.

I don't know if either of these options is possible or the pros and cons for either.

All advice appreciated and links to more info/guides would be great.

Thanks.

Yes!
    I think this might answer your question better:
    one.ubuntu.com/help/faq/can-i-add-multiple-computers-to-my-ubuntu-one-account/
    you can add folders to sync pretty easily.
    ubuntuone is pretty simple to set up and cheap if you want more than the free amount of space

Just Joined!
    Thanks itnemo2000,

I was actually refering to setting up my own cloud server on my current server.

Cheers

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    In that case I would walk down the road of mounting part of the servers filesystem with sshfs on the laptop. The reason is easy to understand: having a cloud consisting of one server only is like running a quadcore with MSDOS as operating system.

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys, I'm going to give nfs a go.
    Cheers