Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody,, I m working on a network project. And to complete this project i have to find the Delay, Drop and Capacity of an internet connection. I have found ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to find Internet Capacity

Hi everybody,, I m working on a network project. And to complete this project i have to find the Delay, Drop and Capacity of an internet connection. I have found Delay and Drop,, Can anybody tell me, how to find the Capacity (Bandwidth) of an internet connection. Thanks

You're going to measure how much (random) data can be transferred from your local endpoint to another over the "wire" while nobody else uses the bandwidth. That should give you the estimate throughput. To measure the opposite direction the other endpoint will have to do the same after that.

Just Joined!
    thanx Kloschüssel,,, but i want to find out the Bandwidth (Capacity) programatically. Is there any way to find this?? using ping or something like this???

Then you write a program that sends (random) data from your local endpoint to another over the "wire" while nobody else uses the bandwidth. The count of bits sent divided by the seconds it took gives you the average throughput in bits/s. To measure the opposite direction the other endpoint will have to do the same after that.

Cheers

A thoroughly generic way of doing that would be an online speedtest.
    A good one is Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

I know that this isn't what you were looking for, as it's not a script or program... but there ya go.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Well, there's still iperf or the good old wget if the thread author wants to write a script. Testing the up/down capabilities from one endpoint to another with a speedtest can yield different results as the routing may be different:

Code:
    A -----------x--------- B
      \                   /
       \y               z/
        \               /
         \__speedtest__/
    Either one of the packet routes (x,y or z) could be faster/slower/a bottleneck and thus making such a test unreliable. This is especially the case when all the hosts are located in different countries across the world. Imagine A and speedtest are in the USA and B is in europe. Or even better: let A be in USA, B in europe and the speedtest in china. You cannot tell how the packets are going to travel.
    Last edited by Kloschüssel; 06-18-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: fix typo

Quote Originally Posted by Kloschüssel View Post
    This is especially the case when all the hosts are located in different countries across the world. Imagine A and speedtest are in the USA and B is in europe. Or even better: let A be in USA, B in europe and the speedtest in china. You cannot tell how the packets are going to travel.
    That's why I like Speedtest.net.
    It allows you to choose servers that are located near and far.Multiple tests, over a length of time, will at least give a fair indication of what your throughput really is.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.