Find the answer to your Linux question:
We have a simple html-server in the classroom, hooked to a 8port 10baseT hub. Works fine for the student training. There is no WAN internet connection. Classroom only. Now, we ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

In-house WiFi router setup (no ISP)

We have a simple html-server in the classroom, hooked to a 8port 10baseT hub.
    Works fine for the student training. There is no WAN internet connection. Classroom only.
    Now, we have a 4port/WiFi router for those wireless students and wish to simplify the connection process.
    Step1: Connect to the WiFi router SSID.
    Step2: Point browser to the server //192.168.1.99/index.html

I have used public "HotSpots" where I connect to "SSID" then point my browser to //192.168.1.1 and the WiFi auto-magically routes to the proper server 192.168.1.xxx.

How do they do that ?
    Most WiFi routers we have tested support auto-routing of the WAN traffic only. Local WiFi/LAN ports are not re-routable.

Your comments & suggestions are welcomed.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by acrizona View Post
    auto-magically
    There's no magic in there. The Internet (WAN) is no different with the 'classroom only' setting. Both are network of computers, the Internet is just a much bigger network.

Just Joined!
    We have learned that it is called in-bound routing performed within the router. Upon wifi connection to the router, you are directed to lan port #1234. Thats it. Simple. Just like magic.
    The trick part is,,, our CheapO routers do not have this feature. Most low-cost routers route ONLY the WAN internet connection.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close