Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

In-house WiFi router setup (no ISP)

We have a simple html-server in the classroom, hooked to a 8port 10baseT hub.
    Works fine for the student training. There is no WAN internet connection. Classroom only.
    Now, we have a 4port/WiFi router for those wireless students and wish to simplify the connection process.
    Step1: Connect to the WiFi router SSID.
    Step2: Point browser to the server //

I have used public "HotSpots" where I connect to "SSID" then point my browser to // and the WiFi auto-magically routes to the proper server

How do they do that ?
    Most WiFi routers we have tested support auto-routing of the WAN traffic only. Local WiFi/LAN ports are not re-routable.

Your comments & suggestions are welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by acrizona View Post
    There's no magic in there. The Internet (WAN) is no different with the 'classroom only' setting. Both are network of computers, the Internet is just a much bigger network.

Just Joined!
    We have learned that it is called in-bound routing performed within the router. Upon wifi connection to the router, you are directed to lan port #1234. Thats it. Simple. Just like magic.
    The trick part is,,, our CheapO routers do not have this feature. Most low-cost routers route ONLY the WAN internet connection.

4. $spacer_open