Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am using embedded linux (SSV embedded linux). And my embedded device has dynamic IP. Now i want to register my embedded device ip into local DNS server for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Update DNS Entry using dhcp client

Hi,

I am using embedded linux (SSV embedded linux). And my embedded device has dynamic IP. Now i want to register my embedded device ip into local DNS server for name service. Means embedded device should access by name over web instate of IP of device.
    In my embedded linux device dhcp client is running (dhcpcd) nad this dhcp client doesnt have any configuration file.

I have read somewhere using dhcp client you can register IP in DNS server.

Can anyone suggest anything related this?

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by bhushanmhatre View Post
    Hi,

I am using embedded linux (SSV embedded linux). And my embedded device has dynamic IP. Now i want to register my embedded device ip into local DNS server for name service. Means embedded device should access by name over web instate of IP of device.
    In my embedded linux device dhcp client is running (dhcpcd) nad this dhcp client doesnt have any configuration file.

I have read somewhere using dhcp client you can register IP in DNS server.

Can anyone suggest anything related this?
    i think this would be configured on the DHCP server, not on the clients. Check the dhcp.conf man page on the DHCP server and read up on "DYNAMIC DNS UPDATES". I think that will explain what you need to do.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    i think this would be configured on the DHCP server, not on the clients. Check the dhcp.conf man page on the DHCP server and read up on "DYNAMIC DNS UPDATES". I think that will explain what you need to do.
    Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Now here my embedded device dhcpcd (DHCP client) send Hostname information to DHCP Server when IP lease request has been sending. And i can see hostname has been set in DHCP Server. But i cannot ping my embedded device with that hostname. I can see other PC in our network and i can able to ping them by their hostname. We are using Firewall (Kerio) DHCP Server and DNS Forwarding.

Regards,
    Bhushan

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by bhushanmhatre View Post
    And i can see hostname has been set in DHCP Server.
    what does that mean? how are you verifying that?

But i cannot ping my embedded device with that hostname.
    did you DHCP server properly update your DNS server? is this client doing the pinging using that same DNS server?

We are using Firewall (Kerio) DHCP Server and DNS Forwarding.
    i'm not familiar w/that product. It could well be something in the configuration of that stuff is your problem.

Just Joined!
    what does that mean? how are you verifying that?

did you DHCP server properly update your DNS server? is this client doing the pinging using that same DNS server?

i'm not familiar w/that product. It could well be something in the configuration of that stuff is your problem.
    Here is image attached of DHCP Server which can show you IP addresses and hostname. *Here you can see 192.168.1.157 islease IP of my device and it is showing Hostname as "esenza-wihart" as i set.

In DNS server there is option to use DHCP Server IP table to resolve IP. Yes Client is doing pinging from same DNS. And alos if other PC in network can ping by hostname as i see in DHCP server hostname image.

Product is like same as embedded computer and it has embedded arm linux has port.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bhushanmhatre; 08-31-2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Some error

Trusted Penguin
    can that same client PC ping any other DHCP clients in that list, by their hostname?

and is your client a Windows PC, Linux box, or other?

if a Linux client, is the ip address of your DHCP/DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf?

Just Joined!
    can that same client PC ping any other DHCP clients in that list, by their hostname?

and is your client a Windows PC, Linux box, or other?

if a Linux client, is the ip address of your DHCP/DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf?
    Yes same client PC can ping other DHCP client with hostname.

My client PC is Windows PC.

DHCP/DNS server IP address is shown in /etc/resolv.conf.

Trusted Penguin
    from your Windows client PC, can you ping the ip address of the embedded Linux PC?

after you ping it (assuming you can), run this command on the Windows PC, to verify the hardware MAC address:

Code:
    arp -a
    you should see the ip address in the first column on the left, and the mac in the middle column. make sure it matches up w/your embedded Linux PC's MAC address. if you don't know it, on the Linux box, run "ifconfig" and look for it in the output.

Back on your Windows client PC, run this command to query DNS for the Linux hostname:

Code:
    nslookup <LINUX_PC_HOSTNAME>
    where <LINUX_PC_HOSTNAME> is the hostname you've assigned to the embedded Linux PC in your DNS software. Post your output here.