Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question When run ifconfig command, nothing other than lo is detected??

Hey all,

I need real help with my problem on my linux pc. I got a new mainboard and now the os does not detect my lan port. So i got no internet.
    When i run the ifconfig it only detects the lo local loopback. And the cable and router work, i tested on other pc.
    My mainboard is:MSI G41M-P24
    from linux Crux crux.nu/Main/HomePage
    kernel: Don't know, is there command for it when need I put in.

I got the Cd with drivers of the mainboard, can i use that and does that work?
    Hopefully somewone can help me with this. I am noob in linux still learning and trying but willing to work for it i did google this problem a lot but could not find it.

Thank you for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirsidor View Post
    Hey all,

I need real help with my problem on my linux pc. I got a new mainboard and now the os does not detect my lan port. So i got no internet.
    When i run the ifconfig it only detects the lo local loopback. And the cable and router work, i tested on other pc.
    My mainboard is:MSI G41M-P24
    from linux Crux crux.nu/Main/HomePage
    kernel: Don't know, is there command for it when need I put in.

I got the Cd with drivers of the mainboard, can i use that and does that work?
    Hopefully somewone can help me with this. I am noob in linux still learning and trying but willing to work for it i did google this problem a lot but could not find it.

Thank you for reading.
    Kernel command in terminal

Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux biker 3.5.0-antix.1-486-smp #1 SMP Sun Jul 22 18:29:55 EEST 2012 i686 GNU/Linux
    I'm not Crux proficient. There are a couple of other members here who use crux who may respond to your post. Just posting below for info in case Minecraft Crux users read this. I don't think this applies to you though since no network interface shows in ifconfig -a.

Post-Install Configuration - MineOS

Static IP - MineOS

MineOS CRUX - Static IP addresses - YouTube

You might want to post also the output of

Code:
    lspci -knn
    in next post also in to show the new ethernet chip on new motherboard.
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

Thank you for fast answer. I put in the commands and got the results. I didn't type al of it from the second command because it is just to much. I cannot copy it because i got no internet. I did wrote the part with the ethernet in it. That is what you can see below. Also i don;t know what you mean with the show the ethernet chip. I did check if the ethernet works, some minutes ago i installed windows and there i had connection. But i want this os so still problem not fixed
    here are the output of the commands:

uname -a:

Linux mineos 3.1.0-rc9 #4 SMP Sat Oct 15 21:31:10 UTC 2011 x86_64 Intel (TM)2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

lspci -knn:
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Attansic Technology Corp. Atheros AR8132 / L1c Gigabit Ethernet Adapter [1969:1062] (rev c0)
    subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device [1462:7592]

Hopefully you got something with the info. When you need more from the second command i try to make picture (if you can read that)

Thank you.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    an Atheros AR8132, supported by the atl1c or atl1e module
    Which should be in your kernel.

to see if either is loaded first

Code:
    lsmod
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Which should be in your kernel.

to see if either is loaded first

Code:
    lsmod
    Thank you again,

lsmod:
    module Size Used by
    mf_conntrack_ipv4 11225 1
    mf_defrag_ip4 1353 1 nf_conntrack_ipv4
    xt_state 1162 1
    mf_conntrack 61794 2 nf_conntrack_ipv4,xt_state
    xt_tcpudp 2307 4
    iptable_filter 1570 1
    ip_tables 14501 1 iptable_filter
    x_tables 18275 4 xt_state,xt_tcpudp,iptable_filter,ip_tables

That was it, Hopefully i did write it down on the right way.

Are there also more people that can help me? I don't know what to do and i would like to use my computer.

Just Joined!
    try running as root:
    modprobe atl1c
    If nothing happens, it could be because the module for your ethernet card is missing.

You'll need to download a new kernel and recompile it with the atl1c driver enabled.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by eyal_tst View Post
    try running as root:

If nothing happens, it could be because the module for your ethernet card is missing.

You'll need to download a new kernel and recompile it with the atl1c driver enabled.
    I tried to update the kernel with the info from here: minecraft.codeemo.com/mineoswiki/index.php/Precompiled_Kernel
    This is with the os. I tried this kernel because of the change that there would be one for my ethernet device.

I cannot run your command because afther updating the kernel i got this error: (for more info of the kernel update look this groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mineos/52JrK_Jas_A)

For the error see the images i added.

Thank you for helping
    foto 1.jpgfoto 2.jpg

Just Joined!
    That link could have some old documentation (not sure).
    Try reinstalling and then follow crux.nu / Wiki / KernelBuilding
    I never tried Crux so I'm not 100% how to do this.

Eyal

Question

Quote Originally Posted by eyal_tst View Post
    try running as root:

I did run the command and as you expected:

FATAL: Module atl1c not found.

I got a cd with the drivers for my chipset. There is also an part for LINUX drivers. Can I use this?
    to fix the problem i need to download the kernel from kernel.org and then update the kernel?