Find the answer to your Linux question:
recently i installed suse 9.1 personal on one of my computers. i have been running it with windows xp and windows internet connection sharing. it has a intel motherboard (i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

networking help with suse 9.1 personal

recently i installed suse 9.1 personal on one of my computers. i have been running it with windows xp and windows internet connection sharing. it has a intel motherboard (i dont know which one) a 1.8 ghz intel pentium 4 processor and 384mb of 266mhz ddr ram. the first networking card is built into the motherboard and both linux and windows identifies it as an intel pro/100 ve network connection. the second card was a generic card i bought at a compusa and is identified by both operating systems as a via rhine III fast ethernet adapter. when i start suse it says something about networking failing. when i log in and try my internet and network niether works. i have a d-link 10/100 fast ethernet switch. i am bad at networking and linux so i dont really know what i'm doing.

If you have broadband internet which I think you have, go into YaST, Network devices, and in the new window choose one of the cards and select configure if they hav't been configured and change if the have been configured.

Now go to the routing button and press it and type in the router (default gateway's) IP address.

this should get you on the web, as for networking you will have to use Samba;

seasons greetings;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    i don't have a router, i am sharing my internet connection through this computer. or did you mean the ip adress that this computer should have, where would i get this adress? (sorry i'm really bad with networking)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close