Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an Ubuntu Server 12.04 box at home that I'm trying to access via PuTTy at work, but I can't get it to connect (it just times out). I've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trouble port forwarding SSH

I have an Ubuntu Server 12.04 box at home that I'm trying to access via PuTTy at work, but I can't get it to connect (it just times out). I've made my home system IP static, and I set set up port forwarding in my router settings for SSH (in port 22, out port 22, forward to my home machine IP address, TCP and UDP, checked "enabled"). And there's no proxy at home or at work to worry about.

Any idea what's wrong?

(Side note: I intend to change from port 22 to something else once I get this working, but for the sake of simplicity, I left it at 22 for now.)

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSpry View Post
    I have an Ubuntu Server 12.04 box at home that I'm trying to access via PuTTy at work, but I can't get it to connect (it just times out). I've made my home system IP static, and I set set up port forwarding in my router settings for SSH (in port 22, out port 22, forward to my home machine IP address, TCP and UDP, checked "enabled"). And there's no proxy at home or at work to worry about.

Any idea what's wrong?

(Side note: I intend to change from port 22 to something else once I get this working, but for the sake of simplicity, I left it at 22 for now.)
    Hi,

Is your ISP blocking port 22, by any chance?

from work, have you tried to check the open ports on your public ip address at home? e.g., say your home ip is 1.2.3.4, from work you could try:

Code:
    nmap -n 1.2.3.4
    that will show you all the common TCP/UDP ports that are open. port 22/ssh should be listed as open. in fact, you could try that command at home, too.

also, does your home box w/the ssh sever have a firewall running?

Just Joined!
    Hello, SuperSpry.

It is hard to say what is the reason without detailed troubleshooting. First you should check your router, connect another PC or Laptop to the outside router's interface, configure it with correct IP settings (IP address would be enough since you use Port Address Translation)and check SSH connectivity. If the problem is still there, you should work with your router (it can use 22 port by himself). If SSH is working, then you should ask your ISP at home to confirm service availability. And the last point is your ISP at work.

Hope my comment will be valuable assistance for you.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    also, does your home box w/the ssh sever have a firewall running?
    Ah, this was the problem. The firewall was blocking it, so I added the appropriate exceptions. Thanks to both of you for your help!