Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
What I want to do is clone the IDE HDD to a SATA SSD. I have cloned it with dd. but it will boot to boot loader and then when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Barracuda Web Filter 310 (Cloning HDD)

What I want to do is clone the IDE HDD to a SATA SSD.

I have cloned it with dd.

but it will boot to boot loader and then when I choose Barracuda (for normal boot) it goes to a kernel panic. Probable because everything says hda instead of sda.

Anyone have any experience with this?

(note: Barracuda uses custom linux for this. It also uses riserfs and xfs.)

See image for more details (the SSD is usb connected in image, but will be sata in Barracuda machine):

gparted_barracuda.jpg

Well, you either boot into the right partition or you have to fix the bootloader configuration on the disk if there is one. You can make use of an USB live linux to check whether all files are in place or not.

Just Joined!
    I changed lilo.conf entries from hda to sda. how would I update lilo since I have the hdd usb connected to my other linux computer?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If the original disk was able to boot correctly, I suppose that should do the job, doesn't it? Was the other disk somehow damaged or is there any other possibility that the data on the disk became corrupted?

Just Joined!

yes

Quote Originally Posted by Kloschüssel View Post
    If the original disk was able to boot correctly, I suppose that should do the job, doesn't it? Was the other disk somehow damaged or is there any other possibility that the data on the disk became corrupted?
    When I clone the hard drive to another IDE, both the clone and origional work just fine.

When I clone to SATA drive (even after I change lilo.config from hda to sda, (chroot and update lilo) it gives me this error:

Loading Barracuda......................................... ....................
    BIOS data check successful
    uncompressing boot image... Booting...
    mount: error 6 mounting reiserfs flags rw

(see attachment for the rest).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Locate /etc/fstab on the cloned disk and fix possible references to /dev/hda there too.

Just Joined!
    Locate /etc/fstab on the cloned disk and fix possible references to /dev/hda there too.
    I am still getting the same error.

fstab
    Code:
    /dev/sda1 / reiserfs rw,noatime,notail 1 1
    none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
    /dev/sda6 /home reiserfs rw,noatime,notail 1 2
    /dev/sda9 /mail reiserfs rw,noatime,notail 1 2
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/sda7 /tmp reiserfs rw,noatime,notail 1 2
    /dev/sda8 /var reiserfs rw,noatime,notail 1 2
    /dev/sda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
    none /mail/scan tmpfs defaults 0 0
    lilo.conf (note: "boot=/dev/sde" because im chrooting to usb hdd; also, the commented out initrd is the default one, im just trying another one i found on the disk.)
    Code:
    disk=/dev/sda
        bios=0x80
    boot=/dev/sde
    map=/boot/map
    default="Barracuda"
    keytable=/boot/us.klt
    prompt
    nowarn
    timeout=50
    menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    bitmap=/boot/logo16.bmp
    bmp-colors=6,0,0;15,0,0
    bmp-table=14,18,1,5,
    bmp-timer=66,28,6,0,0
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25.tproxy
    	label="Barracuda"
    	root=/dev/sda1
    	initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.25.sda.reiserfs.img
    #	initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.25.tproxy.310.reiserfs.img
    	append="devfs=mount acpi=on noapic nosmp quiet"
    	restricted
    	password=bimg
    	read-only
    #image=/mnt/hd/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25.tproxy
    #	label="Recovery"
    #	root=/dev/sda3
    #	initrd=/mnt/hd/boot/initrd-2.4.25.tproxy.310.reiserfs.img
    #	append="devfs=mount acpi=on noapic nosmp quiet"
    #	read-only
    image=/boot/memtest.bin
    	label="Hardware_Test"
    	restricted
    	password=bimg

Just Joined!
    There are a number of initrd* files listed in the boot dir.
    I wounder if I just need to choose the right one or if the issue is in vmlinuz?

I can't grasp what you are doing there. Have you plugged your disk into an usb port and try to boot from there? Until now I supposed that you were attaching the disk to an usb port to straighten some things, then plug the disk into the original computer once more and then try to boot it. If you do it like this of course if won't work. If the disk is plugged into an usb port and getting the /dev/sde, the boot manager and fstab are pointing to another disk, namely /dev/sda.

Just Joined!

I can't grasp what you are doing there. Have you plugged your disk into an usb port and try to boot from there? Until now I supposed that you were attaching the disk to an usb port to straighten some things, then plug the disk into the original computer once more and then try to boot it. If you do it like this of course if won't work. If the disk is plugged into an usb port and getting the /dev/sde, the boot manager and fstab are pointing to another disk, namely /dev/sda.
    I took the hard drive (IDE) out of the Webfilter. I hooked it and another drive to USB and cloned the IDE to a SATA drive. The Sata drive when pluged back into the webfilter gives me the errors in the photo ^.

I took the SATA drive back out of webfilter and hooked it up via usb to my crunchbang linux computer. I chrooted into the mounted drive. I edited lilo, fstab and mtab to point to sda instead of hda.

I ran lilo to reinstall it on the usb attached sata drive. I pluged it into the webfilter and it gave me same error.

I think I have to mkinitrd, but I run into problems with things missing when I do mkinitrd.

The "boot=/dev/sde" line in lilo is (what ive read) the location lilo will be installed to. It says sde as thats what it was assigned on my crunchbang linux PC while usb attached.
    Last edited by serch; 09-27-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast