Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have the following problem: Two computers are connected to my Router, one running Debian (stable) and one running Windows, both connected via cable. The Debian machine doesn't have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

missing LAN traffic slows down internet traffic

Hi,
    I have the following problem:
    Two computers are connected to my Router, one running Debian (stable) and one running Windows, both connected via cable. The Debian machine doesn't have a GUI (old Thinkpad with broken display), I log in to it with putty via ssh. The Windows machine always can download from the internet with full speed (4-5mb/sec), the Debian machine not (100-200kb/sec). That's strange but I would have explanations for this, the really strange thing is that the Debian machine downloads with full speed when I transfer data between both machines (in my LAN) via scp. So "no traffic in LAN" slows down internet speed of my Debian machine by a factor of 20-50. That behaviour is weird and completely reproducible. I use wget, and the data is really on Hd, so wget doesn't miscalculate speed and I don't measure LAN speed either, it's really the internet speed that goes up when transferring data in LAN. Another machine reaches full speed when using the same cable the Debian machine uses.
    I already tries the following:
    -installed Ubuntu 12.04 server
    -did a fresh install of debian stable
    -tried all ports of my Router (can't be the reason, cause another machine does work on the same cable)
    -sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control=reno
    -sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control=cubic
    -sysctl -w net.core.wmem_max=12582912
    -sysctl -w net.core.rmem_max=12582912
    -sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling=1
    -sysctl -w net.core.netdev_max_backlog=5000
    Nothing fixed my problem, so I reset these values to default afterwards.
    Ping times are constant regardless of downloading or not. CPU load is under 30%.
    Does anybody have an idea of what could be the issue? Or is there something like /dev/null for network? I could always copy data there as a workaround .
    Details about my machine can be viewed in attachment.
    I've been using debian for many years, but I'm no expert by far and don't have an idea what I could do, so any hint is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    HansiM
    Attached Files Attached Files

Linux Enthusiast
    That is a very strange problem indeed. It's a shot in the dark, but have you taken a look at the windows PC? Perhaps there is something like bittorrent running on it that is being polite to local applications trying to get to the Internet but isn't accounting for your laptop. If that was the case then the PC-PC transfer might trigger the bandwidth cap which would free up Internet bandwidth for your Laptop at the router. You could confirm by leaving the laptop on the network by itself if you could find some other way to connect to it.

As I said, it's a shot in the dark, but I can't think of anything else.

Let us know how you get on.
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.