Find the answer to your Linux question:
I noticed on some papers, it is written that: (A) 100Mbps wired connection connected to the internet through a 500 Mbps link (B) 54Mbps wifi connection behind a ADSL router ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

about adsl router and how to check connection rate

I noticed on some papers, it is written that:

(A) 100Mbps wired connection connected to the internet through a 500 Mbps link

(B) 54Mbps wifi connection behind a ADSL router , upload rate 1.2Mbps, download rate 7.7Mbps

I have some questions regarding the above description
    1) for (A), are there any commands or methods to know the "100Mbps" and "500Mbps" on a linux computer?

2) I'm not familiar with ADSL router. so is it that even if a ADSL router is connected to 100 Mbps Internet via wired line, it can only provide upload rate 1.2 Mbps and download rate 7.7 Mbps, that is to say the "1.2" and "7.7" is hard-coded in the router?

thanks!

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by esolve View Post
    I noticed on some papers, it is written that:

(A) 100Mbps wired connection connected to the internet through a 500 Mbps link

(B) 54Mbps wifi connection behind a ADSL router , upload rate 1.2Mbps, download rate 7.7Mbps

I have some questions regarding the above description
    1) for (A), are there any commands or methods to know the "100Mbps" and "500Mbps" on a linux computer?
    To know the physical throughput of your network adapter, you can look at the output of ethtool, e.g.:

Code:
    $ ethtool eth0|grep -i speed
            Speed: 100Mb/s
    Note that that speed is theoretical. An explanation of what that means is beyond scope...

To measure download speed is a little trickier. You could use an on-line tool for that (like this one), I guess, but ymmv.

2) I'm not familiar with ADSL router. so is it that even if a ADSL router is connected to 100 Mbps Internet via wired line, it can only provide upload rate 1.2 Mbps and download rate 7.7 Mbps, that is to say the "1.2" and "7.7" is hard-coded in the router?
    Those upload and download rates are hard-coded in a sense, but not in hardware. It is controlled by the ISP (or whoever is telling you "1.2" and "7.7"). The hardware can haul ass. Well, it can certainly go faster than 7.7 Mbps anyway.

Just Joined!
    Those upload and download rates are hard-coded in a sense, but not in hardware. It is controlled by the ISP (or whoever is telling you "1.2" and "7.7"). The hardware can haul ass. Well, it can certainly go faster than 7.7 Mbps anyway.
    so if I want to do some experiment, and I hope it can only provide upload rate 1.2 Mbps and download rate 7.7 Mbps
    but now I only have 100Mbps connection socket, then if I use an ADSL router , will the ADSL router provide only provide upload rate 1.2 Mbps and download rate 7.7 Mbps?
    thanks

Trusted Penguin
    so if I want to do some experiment, and I hope it can only provide upload rate 1.2 Mbps and download rate 7.7 Mbps
    but now I only have 100Mbps connection socket, then if I use an ADSL router , will the ADSL router provide only provide upload rate 1.2 Mbps and download rate 7.7 Mbps?
    I would say rather that your ISP imposes those limits, but it amounts to the same thing.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    I would say rather that your ISP imposes those limits, but it amounts to the same thing.
    sorry, don't understand what you meant
    can you make it clear? thanks very much!

Trusted Penguin
    sorry, don't understand what you meant
    can you make it clear? thanks very much!
    Let me back up to this question:
    Yes, even if you had a Gigabit Network Card, your download/upload speeds would not improve, based upon the fact that your rates are being provided by an ADSL subscription, and that subscription apparently provides 1.2Mbps upload and 7.7Mbps download.

This thread provides an interesting discussion of chipsets used in ADSL modems and their relative performance, thought you'd find it interesting:

Which ADSL modem has fastest download/upload speed + advice needed plz?