Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ErwinMaas
Hello, I'm setting up a medical server for a hospital that has doctors located in 3 different locations, meaning there would be 3 servers (1 in each location). All 3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Syncrhonizing 3 Servers over IP

Hello,

I'm setting up a medical server for a hospital that has doctors located in 3 different locations, meaning there would be 3 servers (1 in each location). All 3 servers would just have the following software:

• Ubuntu Server 12.04 minimal
    • MySQL, PHP 5, Apache
    • The medical software which would read/write to the MySQL database
    • Remote admin apps like Nagios & Webmin
    • Rsync for backup (rsync-over-ssh) as a cron job

and the doctors at each location would access patient & billing data from their respective servers.

What I'd like is, that each of these servers all have synchronized info (especially the mySQL database's) - let's say on an hourly basis each of these servers synchronize data to a common remote server and the data is then brought down to each of the servers.

I know an easier way would be to have the medical app running on a remote web server, but since this is medical that we're talking about and knowing how common it is in our area for the net to go gown, I wouldn't like a web based scenatio.

Is such a setup possible?
    Would this be the right way to do things or is there a better way to this?

Would really appreciate views and comments (or how to set this up) on this.

Just Joined!
    You could set up your own private web server at one site ( host it yourself internaly ) and let the other sites connect to it. You could secure it by setting a site to site vpn.
    fkasmani likes this.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ErwinMaas View Post
    You could set up your own private web server at one site ( host it yourself internaly ) and let the other sites connect to it. You could secure it by setting a site to site vpn.
    Each of these will be a web server (that's how the medical app is designed), but the question comes, how would the other sites connect to it?

Just Joined!
    use a site to site vpn to the main site and route access to that specific webserver this would be a static route over ip true the vpn.

We also have 3 sites, all of the servers are at the main site. we have cisco routers configured as site to site vpns, the remote sites vpn to main site all corporate network traffic is sent true the vpn all internet traffic is just sent to the net.
    There may be better solutions but this is secure. And it works fore us.

Added the network schema from our network

Knipsel.jpg
    Last edited by ErwinMaas; 10-19-2012 at 07:55 AM.