Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a RedHat server running Nagios. When i ping one of the Windows hosts on our LAN it resolves the wrong name? I run the following: [root<at>localhost /]# ping ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ping returning strange hostname

I have a RedHat server running Nagios. When i ping one of the Windows hosts on our LAN it resolves the wrong name?

I run the following:
    [root<at>localhost /]# ping hostA.domain.com

it returns:

PING hostA.geneva-trading.com (192.168.105.49) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from hostB.geneva-trading.com (192.168.105.49): icmp_seq=1 ttl=127 time=0.197 ms
    64 bytes from hostB.geneva-trading.com (192.168.105.49): icmp_seq=2 ttl=127 time=0.187 ms
    64 bytes from hostB.geneva-trading.com (192.168.105.49): icmp_seq=3 ttl=127 time=0.209 ms

??? Why does it return hostB??? It seems to resolve all other hosts I have tried OK. I looked at the Arp, Hosts file and double checked the resolv.conf; everything looks great! I don't get it... Is there another location where resolvers are stored?

Thanks!
    Tony

Trusted Penguin
    Hello and welcome!

I am guessing that it is a DNS record, either misconfigured or by design. Are you using an internal DNS server?

In any case, try this:

Code:
    nslookup 192.168.105.49
    You should get a list of authoritative and non-authoritative DNS names for that ip address.

Just Joined!
    WTH! It return the hostB name!!! I don't get it, I am looking at the DNS manager on theserver it used to resolve the name and that is the wrong hostname... Very strange...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ah! It's the reverse record! Any idea how to change that? Can I delete it?

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by tlitterio View Post
    Ah! It's the reverse record! Any idea how to change that? Can I delete it?
    Possibly, provided that you are the admin of the DNS server. What kind of DNS server is it?

Just Joined!
    It is a Microsoft DNS server, internal. I deleted it. I actually turned on DNS scavenging a number of months back for the forward lookup... Didn't realize it needed to be enabled for reverse separately... All seems to be well now. Thanks!

Trusted Penguin
    Excellent, glad you got it sorted.

Will mark this thread as Solved for you.