Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, How can i setup a public dns server like google public dns or opendns ? Hope someone can help me...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

public dns server

Hi,

How can i setup a public dns server like google public dns or opendns ?

Hope someone can help me

If you know how to setup your own NS inside your own linux box, then you do the same procedure on a public IP and have your public NS.

There are many free public NS out there (google, etc) and I would see no benefits in having one more privately financed. Its just one more risk and one more server to care for. To be of any use you need a dedicated fast server else there is no benefit for users.

I ran my own 3 NS on my previous 3 dedicated servers - but never as public servers. I also run since some 10 yrs my own NS in my linux box to bipass any ISP controlled (censored) www access problems.

why would you want to create a public NS? any particular reason?

How can i setup a public dns server like google public dns or opendns ?
    This is a guide how one can set up a scalable DNS cluster:

Building Scalable DNS Cluster using LVS - LVSKB

And you most likely have to learn how the hardware of such clusters should look like. To have a decent availability you're going to need at least two independent internet connections with decent upstream and a cluster for each sites consisting of at least two computers built for 24/7 uptime.

However, the cost of such systems grows pretty soon into horrible sums and thus I agree that one can easily live with googles public dns and a small local dns server that provides fast non-authoritative dns lookups for local LAN clients by caching DNS requests (see dnsmasq).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close