Find the answer to your Linux question:
In a few days i'm gonna add a wireless AP to my wired home lan. Since my home lan is configured by static ip, and iptables routing/firewall (in the gateway ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Iptables MacAddress Bloking/Allow

In a few days i'm gonna add a wireless AP to my wired home lan.
    Since my home lan is configured by static ip, and iptables routing/firewall (in the gateway computer), I am worried that other people may access my network (via wireless) and be able to connect to the internet with it.

So, what I thought of doing was (by default) block all Mac Addresses in the router and only allow the Mac Addresses of my PCs to be foworded.

Can any of you network gurus help with this newbie problem?
    I know it must be a simple alteration in my iptables script, but I don't know what.

Linux Engineer
    Blocking all MAC Address is a very good way to start (National Bank of Canada) one of the 3 biggest in Canada, uses this technique (as well as others, but you get the point) also I know that with a wireless router, D-Link, it the occurence, you can specify a password to access the network... I dont know how to configure this in linux, but in Windows, you simply access the router and put the settings in there... that pretty much all that theres to do to get your network "properly" secured...
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    I'm kind of relieved now, i was thinking that it could be kind of a lame idea.
    But I still can't get it to work.

can you give a small example of what rules i need to block all mac-Addresses and allow only one?