Find the answer to your Linux question:
My Fedora 17 host “foobar” used to only exist within my LAN. The Ethernet interface, em1, is manually statically configured, everything worked fine. However, I recently added an external internet ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Programs are using external network for id info, instead of LAN

My Fedora 17 host “foobar” used to only exist within my LAN. The Ethernet interface, em1, is manually statically configured, everything worked fine. However, I recently added an external internet interface p2p1, and that NIC is configured with DHCP. The problem is that now many programs use p2p1 for things like ip-address, hostname and nameservice, instead of the LAN interface, em1.

For example my build system is messed up because ant sets the properties to:
    ADDR4=76.102.69.112
    DOMAIN=hsd1.ca.comcast.net
    NAME=c-76-102-69-112

Instead of

ADDR4=192.168.0.3
    DOMAIN=hymerfania.com
    NAME=foobar

How do I fix this?
    Thanks!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You need to configure your routing and ip tables to look at the internal network for internal network addresses and dns names first before it goes to the p2p connection and externally for that information/connections.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

OK, the problem with DHCP is it over-writes /etc/resolv.conf file which is the file that tell the system where to look for DNS resolution.
    If you want to stop this you are going to have to add a rule to iptables to modify all port 53 request and point them to your internal DNS server.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted