Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everybody, I've recently bought a Sangoma A104 card. It does have a linux driver provided, but my concern is that I'd like to test it without using PSTN/Asterisk/Additional HW. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    lzw
    Just Joined!

Question [PPP] Idea of testing HW needed, using PPP

Hi Everybody,

I've recently bought a Sangoma A104 card. It does have a linux driver provided, but my concern is that I'd like to test it without using PSTN/Asterisk/Additional HW. Is this possible at all ? Normally, the setup would be like:

PHone#1 === PSTN === A104 -- ASTERISK --- A104 === PSTN === PHone#2

Where '=' is a physical cable, and '-' represents logical link.

I'd rather have something like this:

VI#0 --- A104 === A104 --- VI#1

where 'VI' is some kind of virtual interface (?). In other words, I am wondering if I could use a cable to connect two T1 ports of A104's (like a loopback), create some virtual interfaces, and use PPP as a protocol. The idea is to originate the packet on one of VIs and send it over A104 to the other VI. Since I don't know internals of PPP and am by no means Linux expert, I'm not sure whether such a connection makes any sense (and whether it's possible). Thank you for criticism and advice!

-R
    Last edited by lzw; 02-08-2013 at 06:05 AM. Reason: SUpplemented the question

Linux Newbie
    You mentioned a virtual interface in relation to ppp devices. Maybe a dummy interface?