Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I am using Centos 5.8. And the problem is if any other (Win/ Linux) is giving the same static IP given to this system, they are not getting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

unable to install ipwatchd on centos 5.8

Hi all,
    I am using Centos 5.8. And the problem is if any other (Win/ Linux) is giving the same static IP given to this system, they are not getting any conflict msg, and i found a package IPwatchD which does this same thing. But i am not able to install IPwatchD package on my Centos 5.8 system.

The problem is, though i completed the installation procedure without any problem, but when running the service i am getting the error as here

[oracle@orahostfzr ~]$ sudo /etc/init.d/ipwatchd start
    /etc/init.d/ipwatchd: line 34: /lib/init/vars.sh: No such file or directory

So if any one has the solution for this error, or a any other package which can give notification on second PC who are trying to use IP assigned to this PC.
    Thanks for the help

How are you installing this package? From what I have seen this is a source file only and you need to build/compile it.
    You error above cannot find the file vars.sh so you are going to have to find this file.
    Here is an Install Instructions I have found. You might try these.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    I Have already gone through the page you mentioned, but then that page is also for Debian based Systems. The problem is that /lib/init/vars.sh file (i think) does not exist on rpm based systems. and so you have start the service with command
    /usr/sbin/ipwatchd -c /etc/ipwatchd.conf

but the problem lies after that, though the service is started, but still i am not getting the conflict msg,

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    nileskumar.

Maybe you are not seeing conflict messages because there is no conflict to report on.

How are your IP addresses allocated? If DHCP, then you should see no conflicts. If it's a free-for-all, then that's a different story.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by voidpointer69 View Post
    Maybe you are not seeing conflict messages because there is no conflict to report on.

How are your IP addresses allocated? If DHCP, then you should see no conflicts. If it's a free-for-all, then that's a different story.
    Their is an IP Conflict, because i am giving them all by myself, and the IPs are static IP in the same network connect across switch.